Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some time to get the the indoor range today.
The past 3 times out my P3at has been perfect. I am at the point with this little gun that it goes with me whenever I walk out the door now. I ran 3 different brands of ammo. Mag tech JHP, WWB and the AE 95 that Packer recommends. My wife shot it this trip out too.

No failures of any kind ;D

I'm very pleased as the first couple of times out I was to say the least Disappointed.

To anyone with a new P3AT that has problems.
stick with it. It will get better with time.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Good job, Troubleshooter!

Some of the break in of a P3AT involves the GUN wearing in--But a large part of breaking in this little hand-cannon is the gun breaking YOU in as well.

Packer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great to hear. Sounds like you have a good one!
I just got my P3at back from the factory, brand new slide, and took it to the range. It cycled WWB flat nose ammo that used to jam it regularly. It would eject the spent casings 6-8 feet into the air!! I then shot some DPX through it without a problem. I finally feel like I can trust this little gun and take it with me everwhere. Kel Tec's customer service has been great to say the least!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mm56 said:
Great to hear. Sounds like you have a good one!
It cycled WWB flat nose ammo that used to jam it regularly. It would eject the spent casings 6-8 feet into the air!!  
When my wife was shooting the WWB the casings were flying straight up and bouncing off the overhead frame for the target conveyor and ceiling and hitting her on the head. That was pretty funny ;D But she kept on shooting.

Her group was much better than mine as usual :-[

·
Registered
357 Posts
How old is your recoil spring?

I read this on the Wolf web site -

If your casings are hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required.

Read all about it at http://www.gunsprings.com

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
z71bill said:
How old is your recoil spring?

If your casings are hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required.
I have 300 to 400 rounds through it.

The casings go straight up so if they did not hit the overhead they would land right next to the shooter.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Troubleshooter said:
When my wife was shooting the WWB the casings were flying straight up and bouncing off the overhead frame for the target conveyor and ceiling and hitting her on the head. That was pretty funny ;D But she kept on shooting.

Her group was much better than mine as usual :-[

This happened to my wife last week, the ejected case hit an overhead florescent tube causing it to explode. No harm to her and it was rather funny getting to bangs with one shot.
Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks,
It took a while to get used to this little cannon! I finally feel confident that I can hit the target with it now. Maybe just in my head, but mine seems much more accurate since it's second trip to Kel-Tec. Could a new slide and recoil spring make any difference there??

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is your idea of accuracy with the P3at?

Mine is to be able to hit a 9 inch target at 7 yards. If you want to shoot 3 inch groups then maybe you may need more work done to the gun.

But I can tell you my accuracy problems are me. Because my wife shot a 3 inch group with the P3at yesterday.

So to fix my accuracy problems I am going to the range and practicing my marksmanship with the .22 A LOT this summer. I may even shoot IDPA to hone my skills.

I know the P3at is capable of better groups than I am so I will not tinker with it for now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I don't have an exact answer, but just guessing, the first clip (7rounds) were probably no more that 4-6 inches apart at 10 yards. I don't expect the p3 to be a target gun and I am certainly no marksman. I feel pretty good when I can back up to the 10 yard line and consistantly put all the rounds in a circle the size of a paper plate. ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd call that good for the P3at.

Clean lube and shoot as often as you can.

I usually shoot my carry ammo mag's (2) then switch to the WWB 30 to 50 rounds , The last trip I also shot some AE 95 grain that TPP recommends.

I like to shoot 50 to 60 rounds each time out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.