Range after home made washer for peening.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by regrip, Aug 29, 2007.

1. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Today was the first time I had a chance to go since I put a homemade washer in the slide. I shot about 40 rounds.

The first 20-30 round were not good. I loaded two to three at a time and also wanted to check my progress on the ramp feed.

I had one fail to feed out of each set of 3 or 4 rounds to start with. I was not a happy camper. As I contemplated on the work I had done and the problem I was having I decided that I may have not made the I.D. of the washer large enough for the pin to slide properly in the rear position of the slide.

As I continued to finish out the rounds the feeding problem slowed down to nearly none. Will disassemble shorty and check all the parts for wear marks. :-/ Tom

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The OD of my rod is 0.136".  a #29 drill would be a 0 clearance fit.  the rod has to tilt during recoil so if the washer has any thickness, it will lock up.

A # 28 is 0.141" so that would be 0.005".  the price on the tube from the most expensive hardware store in town was only $1.50

Another thing to look for, the ID to OD of the washer must be concentric. the ID bore of the slide to the OD of the rod only has 0.015" clearance with the spring wire diameters

0.250 - 0.136 = 0.114
    0.029X2 + 0.022X2 = 0.099
    0.114 - 0.099 = 0.015

3. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks for the information. Just came back from the range again after working on the problems. I rapid fired three to five rounds, and shot a total of 35. I used the LEE target for right handers. It printed out to 7" accross with a center of about 2 3/4". Shot from ranges of 4 yards to 7 yards rapid fire both one and two hand. Have not fired pistols until this year. On both targets I was able to put all but two in the 7" circle. I know this is not as proficent yet as I would like, but am going to get there.

Only had one fail to extract, it may have been my fault, it jamed open. :-/

My slide functioned flawlessly with the washer this time, not sticking at all. :)

I was also looking for the smileys. I am going to remove just a little more material and I think that will be all I need.

I am very pleased with my choice of the 3AT to carry. Tom ;D

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    did you use a #28 drill?

5. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I did not have to use the #28 bit. After the first time at the range it worked itself free of problems. :) Thanks, Tom