Range  report !!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Finally got to really test the little gun my wife gave me for Christmas.
    We both had major health problem and range time had a low priority  ;)

I shot 70 rds of Speer GD and 50 rds of CorBon DPX.
    I had previously shot a box of ball ammo.
    When I got the gun, I did a very thorough "fluff & buff" and applied Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) on the friction parts.
    The gun operated flawlessly !!!  I even tried to "limp wrist", didn't bother it a bit.

I was well pleased with the accuracy as well. I had installed 2 "Nighsiters" dots to get the "8" sight picture, it helps tremendously even in bright sun !  At 30 ft. my shots stayed in a 5" square.

Question: I have a couple of boxes of Speer GD and CorBon DPX left.
    Which one would you use as SD ammo ?

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'd go with the Gold Dot ammo, it has more mass, and penetration than the DPX. JFL, either round would serve your purposes well though.

Best Regards:

3. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
  4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Here is how I held mine to do a limp-wrist test. Not one hiccup. It fired every round without a hitch.
    [​IMG]

Nice grouping. :eek:

Speer GD's are what are in mine as I type this. It's riding in my back pocket as always. :cool:

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Glad to hear!

I have to go with gold dots myself ... don't much care for designer/gimmicky ammo myself.

6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Guys, Thanks for the input; I'll go with the Gold Dots.
    A few years ago, I had a problem with CorBon 9mm; the rounds were a little short and catching the bottom of the barrel of one of my Glocks; gave a box to a friend and he had the same problem. It is probably stupid, but from that time on, I am uneasy with CorBon.

Diamond, that is certainly impressive; how far behind you do you have to look for the gun ;D

A minor problem I experienced: on the forward motion of the trigger, after the shot, my finger gets pinched where the trigger enter the frame; I did the heat-shrink thing, which helps a lot getting caught at the bottom of the trigger, but does nothing for this issue.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Good for you! Always nice to read a positive range report.

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Heh, about 3 feet. :eek: Just kidding. :p

I emptied 7 rounds holding it like that. No problems whatsoever.

If I could find Buffalo Bore JHP, I'd have my P3AT loaded with those. 250fp of pressure from a .380 :)

9. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Same thing with mine. I'm around a 600 round count now and haven't had a feed failure since the first couple of mags. Have tried everything to get a jam just to see if it would. Completely reliable! :) I had a fte the other day and freaked out a little over it even though it was many rounds into a session with a dirty gun.
    Nice having a gun you can trust. Mine is my EDC.

10. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Hey, they don't teach http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/03/malfunction-drills-tap-and-rack.html"]tap and rack[/url] for nothing.  Problems happen.  These are machines and have the potential for glitches like any machine.

If you turn the key on your car and it doesn't start the first time, do you sell it saying, "What a piece of junk!"?  Nope, you've had plenty of other good starts and it just glitched that one rare time.  You just turn the key and it starts up.

Same with guns. Practice false malfunctions. It's good training in case your gun won't start. ;)

11. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Definitely good training, Diamond. I had a little trouble with that one though because instead of stovepiping, the extractor slipped off the rim. Had to hold it open and pluck the spent casing at the same time. It was Independence ammo. The rim appeared unusually thin. Love my P3AT and trust it completely.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Independence is relatively cheap stuff. I think the maker sometimes varies where they have it made - sometimes a run is done in different factories, magtech and others. I think their tolerances vary more than some. Googling around, you will find more than averages issues with that ammo. Would I shoot it? It would not be my first pick but I have used it when I had to. It is cheap and it makes decent range fodder, but I wouldn't panic if it yielded a few problems, especially in a dirty gun, but I think you already figured this out. ;)

13. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Not an easy task. I guess this is where the slide lock would come in handy. :-/