Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I received a check from Keltec yesterday for the value of the CMR. I doubt that's something they do very often. I will say, KT customer service was always quick and eager to help and make it right, regardless of whether this single gun was a lemon or not.

I can't complain when they take care of folks like that. They're added to my list of stand up companies. One way to look at it- The issues served to prove out their CS, and in a way that's worth more than having the gun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
***Raises Hand***

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experiences with your CMR
I have only had mine out once (400 rounds of mixed ammo)
I had several Failure to Feed/Failure to Eject issues with my first 4 magazines of ammo (all were winchester (first 50 were the Super X that you're shooting, next 50 were the Winchester White Box "Dynapoint" copper washed)
I then switched to CCI 40gr Maxi-Mag's (100), Federal 50gr (50), Horny 45gr (50), with one FTF somewhere in there (I think it was one of the early CCi's

then I went back to the Winchester White Box (the stuff everyone complains about)
and shot 100 rds with no issues at all

I'd be frustrated if I were in your shoes
but I'd probably have tried another CMR (given the option)

I'm going thru something somewhat similar right now with RIA
I've got a Rock Island shotgun that is back at the manufacturer (light primer strikes, bad extractor)
they just sent me an update email, they will be replacing it with another firearm (should be getting back to me with options within the next week)

·
Registered
5 Posts
....well my CMR30 blew the left side out of the grip a few days ago. Is this just a fluke or has anyone else had one explode like this? I'm new to this forum so I am just searching for information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't realize the CMR is straight blowback as opposed to the PMR having a delayed/lockup design. The magnum rimfires are hard to control with springs and inertia alone. I don't know yet what KelTec's solution will be, but I know I don't want another one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@zcorwitz, my CMR-30 caused a 22WMR to explode out of battery. Happened right in front of a range master on my first trip out. The explosion did minor damage to the ejection port and the plastic feed ramp. On top of this the gun was a jam-o-matic. Called KT and they had an insanely long lead time for repair. I ended up gunsmithing it myself and it's been awesome ever since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The ammo I see most available right now is stuff with 30-36 grain bullets. I know that my PMR will not run at all with anything lighter than 40 grain. I'm sure that a lot of CMR's are the same way. I have only shot 40gr CCI Maxi Mags in my CMR and haven't had a single problem

·
Registered
92 Posts
So thought I had mine running awsome finally.

Honned the barrel, replaced the feed ramp got a Maglula loader and being selective with ammo trying many different makes and types... Then just after a mag dump, dropped a new mag in for another then bam 203rd round fails to feed. Reload a fresh mag then 4 rounds in same again.

Gun was running pretty hot... Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Most of my failures to feed before had been the rounds picking up and having the noses crushed... This was not picking up the round at all... Perhaps just some bad mag loads.... But just odd that it happens just at the end of my run with a mag loaded months ago, and then one just loaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is trouble free as long as I use 40grain ammo lol. I tried to use these and it was a FTE/FTF on every round. Just wouldn't cycle the action.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ya the old 45 grain ammo worked fine but this new winchester 45 grain ammo is real iffy i just do not use winchester ammo in my pmr or cmr.cci and fed work flawlessly.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine is trouble free as long as I use 40grain ammo lol. I tried to use these and it was a FTE/FTF on every round. Just wouldn't cycle the action.
The exact same box of Winchester gave me all kinds of headaches. Armscor and CCI run without incident in both of my CMRs and my PMR. I still buy the Winchester when I see it, but only to give to my son who shoots my old Remington 597 with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yep i do the same i have an old mossberg chuckster 22 mag. very accurate so when i find ammo that wont cycle i have a place for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use that for my Heritage 22wmr. Too bad the sights on it suck. I just picked up 1000 rounds of CCI gamepoint 40gr and the caris flawless on it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Got to shoot mine some this past week.

Had one to fail to feed on third magazine.
Other than that its a sweet shooter. My only issue is finding enough ammo to shoot it as much as I’d like.
really want to stretch out to 100-200 yards see how it performs. Wish some one had warned me about pulling the stock off... almost need a third hand for reassembly.
found a tiny/cheap little light and laser because why not. hip shooting w the laser is too much fun.
Glad I waited for all the issues to have been worked out, if you’re on the fence on this gun just buy it...

Reactions: tzcomp

·
Registered
79 Posts
My CMR has run flawlessly for about a 1000 rounds now. However, it didn't start out that way: CMR-30 (take two). The initial reliability was about 10% failures. I expect the real fix was the so-called "five second magazine fix" . . .

Larry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 Keltec 5.56 rifles which have been perfect since day 1, so I didn't hesitate to buy a CMR30 when I got the chance lately. I have had nothing but trouble with it, and I want to know if this is as good as it gets, or if you guys all have working rifles.

It was short cycling. Either a click on empty chamber because it cycled far enough to eject the case and cock the hammer, but not pass the rim of the next round in the mag. It also wouldn't lock open on an empty mag. KT graciously sent me a call tag, and surprisingly quickly I got it back. Service notes say "Replaced Barrel, Updated firing pin, Inspected and test fired without any malfunctions occurring."

So, now it's worse. It almost always fails to eject the spent case, or does the click on empty chamber thing, and never will lock back on an empty mag. I even though maybe I wasn't pulling it into my shoulder firmly enough, so I put the stock against a tree to test. Same result.

I am using Winchester 40grn, as well as CCI and Fiocchi. All the same. I'm getting the feeling that it's a flawed design, and if so please let me know so I can ditch this thing.

I'd like to hear that they all work nearly 100%, and I just have a lemon. That way I at least have hope they can fix it if they offer to take it back a second time.

Thanks
put a 22 can on it and try it

·
Registered
53 Posts
My cmr when new would short cycle with 40 gr. But would cycle 45 and 50 gr fine. After a couple hundred of the heavier and it was broken in the cci and Amscor 40 gr cycle it fine

21 - 40 of 42 Posts