Rail Mount Camera Test - RDB vs Desert

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Grifter, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Grifter

Grifter Member

Feb 17, 2017
    People.

This is a just a little test video I did using my new rail mount phone holder along with my crappy phone. No talking, no music, no text, no real target aside from some steel 75 yards out. This is in preparation for a possible video I am planning while at aerial gunning qualifications, shooting targets from a helicopter using the RDB. Possibly some slight competition against ARs and AKs.:eek::eek::cool:

As you can tell from the video, wind noise is going to be a huge issue. With this phone I don't think there is much I can do about it, but maybe later in the year I will grab an actual camera for some real action instead of qualifications. Yeah, this means seeing real targets (invasive animals) getting removed from the environment by this RDB from a helicopter. If you don't agree with what I do, maybe educate yourself on proper native wildlife management and don't watch those videos (if they happen).

Let me know what yah think, maybe some possible other shots you would like ( "I will try" is the best I can give).

2. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2017
    Indeed noise will be an issue. Still looks good though and pretty clear. Nice camo job. What can are you running?

Grifter likes this.

3. Grifter

Grifter Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Thanks, and just running a flash can to push noise and blast forward and out of the helicopter to keep the pilot and passengers happy. The sound gate on the microphones are just so crappy that they muffle out the shots.

4. rjhyland

rjhyland Active Member

Dec 31, 2016
    Video looks great, hope to see more. Good luck in your qualifying.

5. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    With the wind, the microphone has to be internal so the sound will always suck.
    We've found the best "down-the-barrel" video can be had with one of THESE.
    [​IMG]
    Smaller and lighter than a Go-Pro and great 1080P video.
    We mount it to the "ears".
    IMG_1906_c.JPG Since it's not mounted to the gun, the video doesn't blur as bad during the shot.
    And it's not expensive ($65).
    Here's a frame-grab:
    Epic0020_f.JPG
    (yeah, we should have aimed the camera better:()
    Here's the resolution from the actual 1080P video <click>:
    Epic0020_F_c.JPG

Edit, drawbacks:
    No preview screen.
    Eats AAA lithium batteries like M&M's:eek:.
    And of course, the audio sucks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  6. HBeretta

HBeretta Active Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Grifter...good stuff dude!

7. Grifter

Grifter Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Hey Folks,

So I will go ahead an apologize, I was not able/allowed to film anything during the training. The RDB performed flawlessly and was accurate, with fast mag swaps and no malfunctions compared to the rest of the field (all AKs and ARs with one CMMG Mutant). The RDB was the only rifle to not be required fitted with a brass deflector/catcher. Which was the major cause of malfunctions with the others; when leaning out of the helo you pretty much instinctively cant the weapon on its side, which when fitted with a deflector/catcher almost guarantees spent brass making its way back into the action. With the RDB that is simply an impossibility.

There is a lot more that could be ranted about with this "training" and the department that conducted it, but I will just drop that. In the end I had fun, lots of shooting and getting paid to do it.

Sorry again.

8. Grifter

Grifter Member

Feb 17, 2017
    One more thing!

I forgot to mention, the actual "work" I do is all under a contract helo and pilot. The guy loves to have stuff filmed and as such I will be making plenty of videos of some really cool action, with the RDB doing real work from the helo. I will make a new thread for that stuff. It will be coming up in August when survey season starts again.

Thanks!