Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi Poppy,
Welcome to KTOG. I think the answer is no. The ornery manual says to use snap caps. They have a spring loaded 'primer' that sucks up the hammer blow. If the hammer doesn't hit anything to slow it down, like a primer, it impacts the bolt that holds the extractor spring, if I'm not mistaken. That then strips out or breaks, and you get extraction problems.

Folks do make their own snap caps. Me? I just us live ammo.

Hope that helps, I'm sure you will get some more info, and then get your thread hi-jacked to some silly place.

Lop

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
A spent shell does no good at all. The point of a snap cap is to protect the firing pin and the screw that retains it. Once the primer is punctured...a used shell doesn't protect anything at all.

Get good quality snap caps...save damage to your pistol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read my original post, Jamie, it wasn't for continuous use it in an emergency If found a need that I had to dry far my weapon and use the spent case is it better than nothing. I understand that snap caps inexpensive by plan on buying them. I have owned several weapons over the past 35 years I'm not a newbie. My other automatic is a Ruger there is no problem with dry firing it as was the case with my revolvers that had a transfer bar. I don't appreciate the last comment about wanting to learn how to change and extractor screw. People that ask questions generally don't like to be chastised for doing so it has a tendency to cause them not to ask future questions. I don't know about anybody else but I certainly don't know everything and you can't learn and less you ask. For those of you that answered my question, I greatly appreciate it, as for Jamie's post not so much

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If you read my original post, Jamie, it wasn't for continuous use it in an emergency If found a need that I had to dry far my weapon and use the spent case is it better than nothing. I understand that snap caps inexpensive by plan on buying them. I have owned several weapons over the past 35 years I'm not a newbie. My other automatic is a Ruger there is no problem with dry firing it as was the case with my revolvers that had a transfer bar. I don't appreciate the last comment about wanting to learn how to change and extractor screw. People that ask questions generally don't like to be chastised for doing so it has a tendency to cause them not to ask future questions. I don't know about anybody else but I certainly don't know everything and you can't learn and less you ask. For those of you that answered my question, I greatly appreciate it, as for Jamie's post not so much
Easy does it. I don't think Jamie's post was being hurtful. No one knows your level of expertise, and lots of longtime gun owners don't know about the way KelTecs are constructed. I think Jamie was just introducing that possible outcome, if you continued to use fired cases or nothing for dry fire, in a playful manner.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yeah, as WPhilB47 said, "lighten up". I apologize if I sounded like I was coming down on you, you misunderstood me, ( I guess my 'intent' wasn't clear). I have no idea what your background is. Far too many people try to 'cheap' their way out, cause 'operator errors', then bad mouth the gun. One thing I know, (especially on the newer PF9s), removing the extractor screw can be a real experience, (especially if the end that is inside the firing pin chamber gets beat up). Using anything other than a proper snap cap on a PF9 is a real no no. Again, sorry if it sounded like I came off wrong, not my intent.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Snap caps are nice and I did use them but in all honesty I went and bought a laser lite in chamber laser beam and not only is it fun to shoot and see where the laser hits but has made trigger control for each gun so much more better being able to see the beam move or not. A little more expensive but has helped me so much and entertaining.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You can knock the primer out and use heavy caulk or something springy that returns to its shape after being hit for limited use. It won't hold up for long, but its cheap to replace too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.