Quick Maint. Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Showing my ignorance here.... I carry but don't get too much range time, so it can be several weeks between firing (and cleaning) my gun. Should I lube my gun every now and then between range visits??

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I break down, clean and lube my carry guns once a week.

And I use compressed air every evening to blow out the lint that gathers.

3. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I wipe mine down every day i carry it. Clean it when i shoot it or clean the lent out every couple weeks. But i'm thinking i'ts really important to keep the spare mag clean. The old lady handed me hers out of her bag and the crapp in the mag would hardly let the rounds move up.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Check it next time you're about to go to the range to see if it needs additional lube. My guess is that it will not. As for lint it depends on how you carry, though I don't IWB my P3AT but my guess is it would gather less lint and such as compared to my front pocket carry. You of course must decide for yourself but I would have no concern going 2-3 weeks without re-lubing. More often certainly wouldn't hurt and I often will clean, lube and grease mine within 2 weeks of the last maintenance.

Bill K.

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Your body heat will cause the oil on/in the gun to disappear after a while. Use grease or a graphite lube to counteract this. Every couple of weeks my guns get cleaned whether they need it or not. Usually they aren't dry or dirty so it's just a waste of lube but it makes me feel better.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I strip and clean/lube my carry guns every month if they don't get shot.

CJ

7. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    I carry a P-11 in an IWB holster. I am totally amazed and dumbfounded as to how much lint collects on the inside of that pistol. I never would have guessed it.

8. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I IWB in a crossbreed minituck. I don't notice any lint, but I will do some more maint. on than I have been.

( This is green and red because my daughter wanted me to use the colors green and red. I put my foot down on orange. )

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Now we know who's the real boss in your household!  :)

I'm the real boss in my home... When I'm about to mop the kitchen floor and tell my wife to leave the kitchen she does so immediately!!!  :)

Bill K.

10. OnTop

OnTop New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I clean and lube my carry pistol monthly or after a range session.

OT

11. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I mostly use Shooters Choice Hi-Tech grease on all my carry guns and I don't clean them at all between range firings, which in some cases can go 6 months or so between times. I do clean and lube after each range firing however.

Never had a problem in the world doing this and I've been carrying for a lot of years.  My Dad did the same thing all his life and never had a problem either.

YMMV