quick CCW question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mydixiwrecked00, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I dont know where this goes, and im sure if its wrong itll be moved but since my 380s my carry ill start here.

I live in NE Florida and travel across the state line into Georgia alot. I was reading my 50 state guide on ga and have a question.
    it says
    " an individual carrying a concealed handgun must secure his weapon in a hip or shoulder holster or place it in a closed container such as a brief case to legally carry it on his person."

does this mean carrying my p31t by its clip in my wasitband is illegal  or is this kind of carry perfectly fine in ga? what about an in the pocket holster. the reason im asking is since it states " hip or shoulder".
    any GA members out there got any input on this?
    thanks.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    WELCOME!  [​IMG]

Not an expert of GA law, but it sure sounds like it.  Regardless of legality, many (of which I seem to be the most vociferous) believe that carrying with the clip alone is extremely dangers.  I have been able to make my P3AT fire (empty) through clothing or by tucking clothing around it or by "Accidently" dropping keys in the pocket it was in.  Thus _I_ firmly believe that carrying with the clip is a cool idea, but it should be in a pocket holster as well to protect the trigger.  There are a couple less than $20.00 shipping included that work just fine and they add substantially no bulk.  Based on what you wrote I would think you are at keast safer, but I don't know about legal if you use a pocket holster.  Saying "hip or shoulder holster" seems pretty specific. If the law actually reads that a pocket holster would be out - if the law says "in a holster" (which my money would say it actually does but I DON'T KNOW GA LAW.)

Note that this is just my opinion and my [​IMG] issue.  There are others who feel it is perfectly safe to carry clip alone because they have never had a negligent discharge carrying that way and none, outside of purposefully trying, have been reported.

-Scott - giving my own non legal personal opinion only, not advising you as a client!!!!

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I would pay the consultation fee before putting myself in the position where my liberty to CaCW might get taken away. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and will not hold up in any court that I know of as people with CCWs are expected to stay current regarding legal changes. It's very good that you asked this question here because that means you do indeed want to know EXACTLY what the GA law means. My advice is to find yourself a decent lawyer and pony up the bucks for a straight answer. BTW, welcome to ktog!

4. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Pocket carry in a pocket holster is on the hip, right?  :-?

You can always attach a string to your pocket holster and attached the other end up on the belt ... to be arguably legal.  

Hey, if the BATF can make a machine-gun out of a shoelace, we can make a hip holster out of a pocket holster, can't we?   ;D

Also, I have that 50-state guide too and I it leaves a LOT to be desired.  Don't trust it.  Go to www.GeorgiaCarry.org and ask those guys (they know what is legal and what isn't).

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Discussion of this subject can be found here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=205480
    It would appear that a belt/pocket/waist band clip is legal in Georgia.
    Refers to Barami Hip Grip http://www.baramihipgrip.com/ , asterisk is my addition.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    That link didn't work for me but I found the text here http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/search/hb915.htm

Good to know, especially since quite a few here seem to be partial to belt clips and other similar devices.

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Greetings, mydixiwrecked00! Well met. I'm in NE Florida as well. And I find myself ducking over into GA regularly as well (mostly Valdosta). As a result I did quite a bit of reading as regards CC in GA and what I have learned accords with what the Posters above me have said. I do not use the "clip" method, and honestly I usually carry one of my Glocks IWB anyway, and I do not use the clip for my P3AT (preferring a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster). The link provided above to the GA Carry website is a good place to start (and perhaps finish up).

Glad to see another Floridian, and especially one from my neck of the woods. :)

8. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    from what the code says it sounds like its technically not an approved method of carry and can possibly get u in trouble. i have had no issues with clip carrying but i do value all opinions. i wear it tucked into the back of the pants behind the wallet so that does offer some cover but i can see situations that could lead to an accidental discharge. my main reason for the clip is that when im at work it holds it nicely in my tool box so when u open the drawer u dont even see it til u reach in and unclip. back to the issue thou. does the desanti have a belt clip built into the holster and will it fit my p3 with the armalaser on it? i have an uncle mikes #3 right now that works great for in the pocket but it doesnt clip so "on the hip" wont work for it less i use the clip of the KT as the holsters clip. then id risk losing my uncle mikes down the pants and that might get awkward... thanks for the help guys.

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The Desantis does not have a clip.  There is a model made specifically to fit the P3AT with the Armalaser attached (http://tinyurl.com/3wj7kg).  A compromise may be to leave the clip on the weapon AND use the Desantis, holstering the weapon so that the clip is outside the Desantis and then still able to clip to your tool box.

I really prefer pocket carry for the P3AT (and my S&W 642). But to each, his/her own. ;)