Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new pf 9 to the range again and put another 50+ flawless rounds through it. The problem/question that I have is this. My edc winter carry weapon is a Ruger 9e and it eats every ammo I have put through it, were as the pf9 can be a finicky eater. My normal defense rounds for the Ruger have been Remington jhp+p, which I have know intention of using in the pf9. I did put 4 rounds through just to see how he would do, they did not extract properly. Like I said I have no intention of putting this little gun that kind of stress. Even if it wasn't bad for the gun although the recoil was tolerable I didn't much care for the foot-long flame coming out the barrel. So please no comments on the dangers and detriments of using +p rounds in this gun. I already know and I am well aware them.
As I don't have deep pockets and I know it will take some trial and error and I know each individual weapon is distinctive. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as to which defense rounds this particular model prefers. It can only help to eliminate problem rounds and potential save me a ton of time and money. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense has a good reputation in P-11s & PF-9s, but every pistol of any brand may have a preference. I don't understand the extraction problem with the +P. KelTec doesn't recommend a steady diet of +P for plinking or range duty, but it is rated for occasional or self defense work. Usually the complaint is that the extraction and ejection is too energetic. All of mine like just about everything, but I like Fiocchi JHPs for price and performance.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
in general I have had no malfunctions with hornady, cor bon, the better Winchester (sxt being a favorite). I like the critical defense bullet design but they are loaded soft --- which might be what you are looking for.

If none of those work in your gun, its not the ammo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that's the type of info I was looking for. I think I will try Hornandy first. As far as the fte' so don't think it's the gun as I haven't had any problems with any other ammo. Now that I think about it a little more might have been partial operator error. I have fired 4 or 5 of the same rounds previously without any problems so yesterday's issues might've been my fault.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
One of the only JHPs that have been flawless in both of my PF9s is the cheap Remington 115g that come in a 100 round box. They are an old design of hollow point but still do pretty well in tests I've found.

I plan on testing critical defense and that new winchester defend round. Those are some of the only locally available bullets I haven't tried in them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said earlier I fired a couple of the Remingto+P rounds earlier without any problems. As of late I have been reading a lot of the potential problems with using +p rounds in these little guns and thinking back on it I might've unconsciously anticipated a problem thereby causing the problem myself. I'm a little embarrassed to say I might've flinched and limp wristed when I fired it. I've put over 200 rounds through This gun and probably about a dozen or so these +P rounds without a problem and that's the only explanation I can come up with for me to suddenly have a problem with only the +p rounds. After I fired the +p ammo I put 3 full mags of Remington fmj through without a hiccup.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Speer Gold dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Hornady XTP and Winchester PDX is all I've tried and had good success with. All were standard pressure loads in 115 grain with the exception of the PDX being a 147 grain projectile. I already find the PF9 a bit snappy and the plus p variety of loads are only going to make it even snappier. I keep the heavier PDX stuff around because of my FN FNP9. That firearm thrives on that load but its nice to know in a pinch I can run it through the 2 pf9s no problem.

Typically the Critical Defense is what stays loaded in my pf9 carry magazines. Just keep trying different loads to find what works best in your firearm. Once you narrow it down to a couple of loads do some more range work and verify either works for you. Then stock em deep and be set.

Good luck.

Final thoughts, read the fluff and buff section of these forums. It might help with your extraction issues if yours came a bit rough from the factory.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've also used the Federal 9BP* "Hi Shok" 115s with fine results in both PF-9 and P-11.
It's a JHP with a 'ball' contour, like the old Remington JHP, and both enjoy a rep for
reliable feeding in most pistols. They're also a lot cheaper than the latest and greatest
stuff, which is nice if you want to take the time to be SURE your gun likes them.

*not to be confused with Federal 9BPLE, which is same bullet in +P+ loading.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I carry Gold Dot Short Barrel in my PF9, they function well, most of the revues and tests I've seen have the Gold Dots at or near the top. And since they have the name Short Barrel, it made sense to me. They averaged about 1080fps out of my PF9.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I carry Gold Dot Short Barrel in my PF9, they function well, most of the revues and tests I've seen have the Gold Dots at or near the top. And since they have the name Short Barrel, it made sense to me. They averaged about 1080fps out of my PF9.
Yep. They specialize in short barrel loads. They even make one for 22 Mag that I carry in my BUG to my BUG to my primary. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
What is the one in the last pic?
High Standard DAO derringer. Made in 22 rimfire and 22WRF/22Mag. Been out of production for 30+ years. Very collectible in a small niche market these days. LEOs used to carry them as backups. They have a very long and heavy trigger for safety. They are generally fired by palming the grip deep enough to allow the index finger to lay alongside the barrel. You point your index finger and pull the trigger with the middle finger for 2 DA shots. Not the same procedure, but mindful of the old lemon squeezer.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
High Standard DAO derringer. Made in 22 rimfire and 22WRF/22Mag. Been out of production for 30+ years. Very collectible in a small niche market these days. LEOs used to carry them as backups. They have a very long and heavy trigger for safety. They are generally fired by palming the grip deep enough to allow the index finger to lay alongside the barrel. You point your index finger and pull the trigger with the middle finger for 2 DA shots. Not the same procedure, but mindful of the old lemon squeezer.
Interesting, I guess I won't get my hopes up on finding one but you never know.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Interesting, I guess I won't get my hopes up on finding one but you never know.
I've considered putting my extra on the Trading Post, but not now. If I do decide to let one go, I will post it on our forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense has a good reputation in P-11s & PF-9s, but every pistol of any brand may have a preference. I don't understand the extraction problem with the +P. KelTec doesn't recommend a steady diet of +P for plinking or range duty, but it is rated for occasional or self defense work. Usually the complaint is that the extraction and ejection is too energetic. All of mine like just about everything, but I like Fiocchi JHPs for price and performance.
Me either. My question is, why even bother with it, IMO the standard pressure 9mm is plenty for thug work. IMO, if someone wants to run +p ammo they should buy and carry a firearm that is fully rated for the round; a sub 14oz polymer light weight PF9 is not THAT firearm.

I love my PF9 and carry it every day. The round that I carry in it is the Hornady American Gunner 115gr XTP. Will it do the job, I'm betting my life on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me either. My question is, why even bother with it, IMO the standard pressure 9mm is plenty for thug work. IMO, if someone wants to run +p ammo they should buy and carry a firearm that is fully rated for the round; a sub 14oz polymer light weight PF9 is not THAT firearm.

I love my PF9 and carry it every day. The round that I carry in it is the Hornady American Gunner 115gr XTP. Will it do the job, I'm betting my life on it.
If you read my op I fired know more than 4 +p rounds and it was just to see how the weapon would handle them. I have know intention of useing +p ammo in this weapon on a regular basis. I do use Remington 115gr +p ammo in my Ruger 9e, my winter edc. That's why I had the +p ammo in the first place. I also said that, as much as I hate to admit it, I now beleave the fte's were my own fault. I have since put another 300 round of different ammo through my pf9 without a single issue. It is now my warm weather edc and I have complete confidence in it. Thanks again for all the advice on ammo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I almost forgot. Just in case anybody is wondering I settled on Fiocchi 115gr jhp ammo. It is a little less expensive than some of the other stuff out there, it functions real well in the weapon and will get the job done if needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.