Questions about F & B and barrel

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Drivebytrucker, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Is the barrel just uncoated or unplated steel? The reason I ask is if you start sanding on it, dont have to worry about removing outer finish. Second, when sanding the feedramp, whats the best thing to wrap the sandpaper around? Ive seen where people use wooded dowels, steel dowels, but just want to know what works the best. I just picked up a new p3at last night. The guy had already installed a new CT laser. I will do a light F&B tonight and try to get to the range 2morrow. thanks

2. BMUP

BMUP New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I didn't do the F&B on mine. I just cleaned & lubed it really well before the first time out & haven't had a single problem with it. I clean & lube every time I come back from the range & I've run 350 rounds thru it so far without a problem.  YMMV but if you don't get around to doing the F&B, don't sweat it. I think KT is doing some of that already at the factory on the newer P3ATs.

Bmup

3. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    No f&b on mine either.
    Just cleaned and lubed before shooting.
    Clean and lube after every shoot.
    Have put several hundred rounds thru it with no problems.
    Have also put many different types of ammo thru it with no problems.

I think several hundred rounds thru the gun is the best f&b you can do,
    if you don't have an feed and eject problems to start with.
    Break it in by shooting a lot of rounds thru it. If you still have problems...then f&b.

4. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008
    Ive got some WWB and blunt nose UMC to break it in. I pcked up some Monarch ammo at Academy, but dont know much about it. Ive read some good and some bad things about it after I bought it. I plan on running a couple of hundred thru it to break in, then carry Hornady Tap or the new extreme Hornady. I carry TAP in my 45 and 9mm. Theres probably a perfect SD round for this gun, so need to do more reading. Its good to know that I have experience on this forum to turn to if problems arise.  thanks guys

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    For a F&B I used a dremel. If you doing one sans said handy little tool try just wrapping the sand paper around your finger tip and have at it that way. If that doesn't do it for you try a pencil or pen. Basically anything round and small enough to get into the feed ramp will work. Remember to sand in the direction the bullet will be going. That is up and down, not side to side.
    There really is no such thing as a perfect round. There are very good rounds however, but each gun in different and thus prefers different ammo. Hornady Tap, Corbon, Magtech, etc. are all good rounds. There are many more than that that also get good results. You will see those as you search further back. The main thing is to find a bullet that works well in your gun and suits your needs and to stick with it.

BTW, these little guns love lots of lube. Oils aren't good enough for pocket carry (to me), so look for some gunslick graphite lube, grease, or miltech. Those seem to really hold up well IWB or in your pocket for everyday carry. YMMV

6. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for info torrent. I figured these little pocket guns would dry out quick, due to blue jeans/ holsters etc..tending to absorb some of the oils. What is a good Grease to use. I have some synthetic and other oils Ive always used on my guns, but havnt got any grease yet. Didnt know if one brand was better than the other. I was just reading, and I need some good grease to apply where the slide contacts hammer.

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana