Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the gun apart and gave it a thorough cleaning and oiling.

Does it seem like my gun has a long recoil spring guide rod? It is bigger than most I have seen in pictures. Will this effect anything?

Here it is with the gun taken down.

Here is the guide rod hole if anyone is interested. Not paper thin but not dime thick either. Serial number is JAXXX.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Hand cycle it a few times and let the slide snap shut under it's own power each time.

Looks like it's still setting on the barrel lug notch in your picture.

I have a feeling the guide-rod will seat itself against the frame and drop back a little.

rcmodel

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The rod does extend a bit more than I've seen before, but I don't think that should be a problem, and it may correct itself as RC suggested.

The thickness of the hole is quite thin.

If the gun were mine I would shoot it with confidence, but keep an eye on the hole to see if peening begins to develop.

If peening begins to occur I would then contact Kel-Tec service to request a new slide and at the same time request a new rod and springs if necessary.

G

·
Bobo said:
The rod does extend a bit more than I've seen before, but I don't think that should be a problem, and it may correct itself as RC suggested.

The thickness of the hole is quite thin.

If the gun were mine I would shoot it with confidence, but keep an eye on the hole to see if peening begins to develop.

If peening begins to occur I would then contact Kel-Tec service to request a new slide and at the same time request a new rod and springs if necessary.
or get the nylon recoil washer from NAS and avoid all of the worries ::)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Its hard to tell without more light/contrast on the guide rod hole itself but I was thinking it looked pretty darn good. And don't fret about the guiderod itself, I think one of mine looks about like that.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I took the liberty of enhancing meathook's photo which makes the thinness of the metal around the hole much more evident.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Thanks BOBO - I couldn't tell if that was shadow or metal on my monitor.  Your enhancement helps.  Unfortunately it doesn't make the slide better.  MH - I think you ought to get a washer into that quick or plan on a return trip home to mama in Florida.  Sorry.

-Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple more quick questions or have you seen this.

Cleaned, oiled and greased last night. Fired another 25 rounds today and stripped it to clean and grease again.

I noticed yesterday and again today that there is a slight flat spot wearing on the recoil spring rod head. I apparently turned it slightly from yesterday and it did it to another spot.

Also noticed a small bur in the metal was raised here. Just on the very tip of the corner.

Also a question on peening does it tend to push out around the hole or does the hole just get bigger?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Should also mentioned fired and cycled like a champ.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
meathook said:
... a slight flat spot wearing on the recoil spring rod head

.... a small bur in the metal was raised here

Also a question on peening does it tend to push out around the hole or does the hole just get bigger?

Thanks in advance.
The flat spot is normal. It is from the barrel sliding accross during recoil. I always put mine back the same. with the flat agaisnt the barrel

the slide rail burr is normal. It is from spent case impact. just scrape or file it back the to original rail plane and it will stop eventially

there is normally some metal pushed out as the hole ID gets bigger

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Be sure to remove burrs as you spot them during cleaning, or they could cause problems. I called KT service and they sent me a new guid pin to replace the one I kept turning (for free - no hassle). Now, I know to keep the flat pointed toward the barrel. To my pleasant surprise, the new pin came complete with 2 new springs - freebies! ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys will do. I tried to face the flat spot towards the barrel but apparently was a hair off. Now I have a better chance of hitting one or the other. ;D

I will send for a new one if needed.

I think greasing the rails helped too as even when I was rapid firing this time had no FTE's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.