Question on Grease

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Rounder1106, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    What type of grease is recommended for lubrication? I have never used grease on any of my guns, only oil. Will just plain motor bearing synthetic grease like Mobile1 or Shell work? If you could, please post some links to some websites.

Thanks.

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006

3. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    i dont prefer grease because i dont want it all over my pocket. it probably wont get all over but i dont want to change it. the tetraproducts mentioned above is one of the best but a ton of people do just use mobile one.
    john

4. marv

marv New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I use Stihl grease which is made for the gear head on their string trimmers. That stuff is Slick and stays where you put it.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I use Outers brand choke tube & gun grease. I bought it at Wally World a decade ago. It lasts a long time at the range. I've shot 250 at one time through my P3AT, 300 at one time in my LCP, and 250 at one time through my PF-9. No dryness even at that shot count. It stays where I put it and doesn't melt in my pocket.

6. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks guys, I found a pretty good thread on the tec portion of this forum breaking down all the lubes.

7. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    http://www.militec1.com/

Great products from a good company, I like the way they support our military and law enforcement.

CJ

8. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
  9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    While some are probably better than others, I don't think it matters that much.  The thing with grease (on the slide rails, hammer interface and barrel lugs) is that unlike oil, it will not sling off - it stays put.  Since it is all internal, there is no mess that would soil your holster or pocket.  I use militec because the sample they sent me has lasted forever.  It is thick and stays put.  I have also used wheel bearing grease.  Torture testing aside, I think any grease is better than any oil.  The importatnt thing with these ultralight guns is that you clean and lube every time you shoot them.  They cannot be neglected like a big, heavy pistol that has the slide weight and heavy recoil springs to plow through some crud.  An entire P3AT, let alone just the slide, wouldn't make a good paperweight.  ;)

10. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    :'( Sometimes I should think before I type. ;D

11. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    About 8 years ago, I bought a 2/10 ounce tube of "Quantum Hot Sauce" grease for my fishing reels. I clean and lube them twice a year and, since November of last year I have used it on the slide rails of 4 pistols. I think that tube of grease will probably last the rest of my life. Just enough grease to see that it's there, a touch with a toothpick, and it works. You don't need or want much.

BTW, I'm 67.

12. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I used a toothpick to apply grease too.
    I found something better to get into the slide and rail grooves.
    That brush you get with the beard trimmer that you never use.
    It really paints on that thin film excellent ;)

13. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    at this time i am using militec grease. when it runs out i will be back to wheel bearing grease.

14. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    What are the negetives to too much grease being applied?

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I always use a q-tip. Thanks for the idea Rubb. I must have 3 of those things. I think I'll find one and put it in the cleaning kit. :cool:

16. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Just a little messy and may pick up more lint or dust.

CJ

17. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I personally don't like grease on my 3AT. I  experimented with a couple different brands with decent results but I didn't think it stayed in place on the high friction areas any better than oil and felt it was a lint magnet. I now use Militec-1 oil on all my guns. After carrying my 3AT for a couple weeks when I field strip it all the oil is still where it's supposed to be. The bore cleans up much easier after shooting and since switching to it I have had zero issues with corrosion. I did the bake on method in the manufacturers instructions for the first couple applications.

18. comoesq

comoesq New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I use the militec.