Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just paranoid but I have been really keeping an eye on the peening issue with this new gun. I have shot the gun about 3 times 25-30 shots each and can already see some hole enlargement along with some raising of the metal around the hole. Is it possible it will just stop at some point?

These pictures are in chronological order.

Starting to see a ridge at the top.

Ridge starting to form on the bottom left.

I have decided that I am going to let this first slide go bad (assuming it is going to) before I try any washers or other fixes.

Here are the questions.

1. When you get a new slide from KT does that include the firing pin mechanism and everything else in the slide?

2. Did you wait until the spring popped to send it in or was there some point that you just said enough and sent it back?

Other than this it has functioned flawlessly and the accuracy is better than I expected from such a little gun.

By the way if you think I am paranoid feel free to say so. I knew about this issue going in but figured with the good reports of customer service it wouldn't be a huge issue and it's not the only carry gun I have although none fit as nicely in a cargo pocket. ;D

G

·
I sent mine in before the spring popped out. I also stripped my slide of all parts and just sent the slide back. Got a new slide that had everything (Now I have spare parts). Also, the slide that I got back looks like it is rather thin. I have not shot it yet, but I installed the washer and will be taking it to the range soon. I figure that I will take the washer out in 6 months and see if it peens then send it back again.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
JFB said:
Here is a repeat of old post about how to measure the clearance around the rod.

cut a piece of 20# printer paper in a small triangle, one sides 1 1/2" long and the other 3"

Wrap paper around the rod so that a point is at the end and the paper overlaps toward the middle

now start the rod from the front of the slide and carefully start the tip of paper. I can get mine to slide paper through but it stops just before the paper overlaps.

this indicates I only have 0.004" clearance.

the inner spring wire diameter is 0.019"

If you can get 5 wraps of paper (0.020" clearance) or more, the inner spring can go through

I would worry if I got 3 wraps though

·
Registered
44 Posts
I send the slide, with extractor and firing pin, plus the recoil rod and springs back to keltec, usually when I can see the recoil springs through the front of the slide recoil rod hole. I get back the same setup. I've been keeping my barrel.
mack

meathook said:
1.  When you get a new slide from KT does that include the firing pin mechanism and everything else in the slide?

2. Did you wait until the spring popped to send it in or was there some point that you just said enough and sent it back?

G

·
meathook said:
Maybe I am just paranoid but I have been really keeping an eye on the peening issue with this new gun.  I have shot the gun about 3 times 25-30 shots each and can already see some hole enlargement along with some raising of the metal around the hole.  Is it possible it will just stop at some point?

These pictures are in chronological order.

Starting to see a ridge at the top.

Ridge starting to form on the bottom left.

I have decided that I am going to let this first slide go bad (assuming it is going to) before I try any washers or other fixes.  

And the next picture will probably look like this:

With the last picture looking like this:

Why wait to do something? History has established the pattern. (Sorry... just my 2 cents.)

G

·
fmack said:
I send the slide, with extractor and firing pin, plus the recoil rod and springs back to keltec, usually when I can see the recoil springs through the front of the slide recoil rod hole. I get back the same setup. I've been keeping my barrel.
mack
Mack... how many times have you sent slides back?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent Kel Tec an email last night with pictures of my slide.

I expressed my disappointment in seeing these issues so soon. I explained a gun shouldn't show any signs of wear after 80 rounds. I mentioned that I thought the problems were fixed based on my research. I asked for the following:

1. Do a credit card swap for a slide. It seems only fair on a gun that is
only a week old and already showing signs it is destined for failure.

2. Get a hand picked slide from someone knowledgeable that is not going to
fail. It would seem to me that the metal in this area should be fairly
thick. I have heard many stories of people repeatedly sending slides back
to only get bad slides back.

3. I would prefer not to have to pay shipping on a defective part I have
had for such a short time.

please return your slide for warrenty replacement, the problem has been addressed but there are a few of the bad ones in the mix as we do not separate batches. enclose a copy of your shipping receipt for reimbursement. we do not do credit card swaps on the slide, sorry,

This tells me they don't really have a handle on this issue. Why would they not be able to quality check them particularly before sending them out on a warranty swap particularly the 2nd or 3rd time for some folks.

So I figure I will send it back and order the washers.

Any idea on how long it takes to for the return process?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
i sent back 9 over 2 handguns for the issue.

finally sold those 2.

one was not my fault. i sent in a 1g, got a defective 2nd gen back.

[glb]the problem is the fact they do not separate batches.[/glb]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine's peening and I'm going to go ahead and send it back.

My question is do I just pack it in a small box or can I put into one of those padded envelops? Do I need to call them or email them so they are expecting it or if I put a note with it along with my return address will that be sufficient? My slide is parkerized so I'm guessing they'll send another parkerized slide back.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
1st off, sorry for the peening (as if its my fault?), but I still know its frustrating.

I seem to recall the manual having directions on sending things in for warranty. There is not a requirement to call first. Make sure you include a letter what/why/where to send it when done as they keep that letter with the weapon throughout the process and that is what assures they know which slide goes where.

Finally - are you really sure it is peening or is it just a ridge forming. If its like the first set of pictures meathook posted above, even the last (third) pic is not what I would send for. There is enough in this thread to tell what peening really is and I am not doubting you, just trying to help make sure you really have a problem before you loose time with your baby.

-Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really don't think even a ridge should be building up at all. My Berretta doesn't have a ridge. ;)

I may hold onto it awhile before I send mine in (haven't decided but I prefer to get it back and right) but it sure would be nice to get a slide that looks like this:

not this (when it was new)

Without counting pixels that first one is 3X maybe 4X thicker than mine.

I sent the letter out today for washers so I will have them either way. Even if I get a good one (when I send it back) I may put the washers in for insurance.

Does anyone have a picture of what they consider a good slide with several hundred rounds through it without the use of a washer?

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
meathook said:
I really don't think even a ridge should be building up at all.  My Berretta doesn't have a ridge.  ;)

Not all ridges are peening. Some are caused by the recoil spring guide rod filing the opening due to macchining marks on the rod acting like a file. This can be fixed by sanding the rod lengthwise until it is smooth. Check it with your fingernail.

Another thing is to make sure the guide rod is lubed. I put a little grease at the hole in the front of the slide.

This is not a Berretta.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
meathook said:
I really don't think even a ridge should be building up at all.  My Berretta doesn't have a ridge.  ;)
We can all think it shouldn't all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that many do ridge, stop and continue to operate just fine.

As said, this isn't a Berretta, Glock, Ruger or ??? If you want their tiny 8oz lifetime warranty $250 .380 go buy it - oh ya, they don't make one.

-Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.