Question for 3pat Crimson Trace owners?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Drivebytrucker, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Do you take you laser sights off everytime you clean your gun? My laser was installed when I bought the gun, so Im not sure how much of a pain it is to off and on. Also, on the CT model, is there no way to toggle the laser off?
    thanks

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    No, I never take mine off when cleaning. My GF and Dad also have them and don't take them off. Just be careful not to get any oil on the lens. You can maybe put a little piece of tape over the lens just to be safe. I also get a little film on the lense from shooting, I clean it with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

3. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I am not much on cleaning, however there is no reason to remove the laser.
    The slide & barrel can be removed without disturbing the laser. I only remove half the laser to replace the battery.
    Mine is carried daily, shot often (600 rounds & counting), cleaned?
    I don't suggest anyone follow my lead.
    Norton

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Never take it off. Even if I were to break the gun completely down I don't believe there would be any *need* to take the laser off.

5. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008
    thanks guys. I dont think there is , but, is there a way to turn the laser off without taking batteries out? I just got the gun and really wanted to get used to shooting it without the laser first. Then, dial in the red dot. Given where the laser button is, its kinda hard to shooting without turning laser on.

6. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Yeah, it is called electrical tape over the lens :D

7. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    It takes only 15-30 sec to remove the CT, 2 small screws. I wouldn't remove it often for wear and tear on the female threads. It would be nice if there was a switch in the design, it would of raised the cost though. Maybe they're planning it.

8. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    It also takes 15-30 sec to unsight your laser in also. I took mine off and when I put it back on, the laser was off by a few inches, maybe it just happened to me, but it happened.

9. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    JB-norcal

Don't worry about the threads wearing out. There is a brass threaded insert installed in the plastic that the screw threads into. No master on/off switch had more to do with keeping the overall package as small as possible than increased cost. The tape is a good idea (for training situations) but it's so easy to remove and then re-install that's what I do.

Dan

10. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Keep oil or other cleaners away from the laser, but need not remove. I carry in the pocket mostly, and lots of lint collects around hammer area, so I clean every couple weeks or when returning from shooting, no problem. I also use a Q-tip to clean the laser lens. Jim <><

11. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I don't take mine off for cleaning either. Drivebytrucker, just take it off get familiar with it. Some people don't like lasers, I have one on my bedside pistol and one of my carry guns, it's personal preference. You might have to zero it in again though, it's no bigge. Happy shooting with the new-to-you gun, it causes big grins on first timers. :)

12. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I don't have a Crimson Trace yet since they don't make one to fit my P11, but I do have a dealer looking for both a PF9 and a P-3AT for me and when I get them I'll order a CT for at least one of them.  

That said, I may not fully understand how the CT switch works, but if it's like I think, I thought I could design some sort of cap or strap that would cover the switch area with a hole drilled for the switch button to fit through so that the grip could be squeezed firmly without putting any pressure on the switch itself.  

Ed

13. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    It's a pressure switch right below the finger guard activated by the middle finger. I don't think it's that big of a deal to tape it or just have it come on. You might want it not on for point N' shoot training, it'll be a distraction. Trying to change your grip with an added cover or not squezzing your fingers tight might cause some limp wristing.
    Tape it -short term or remove the battery-long term. JMHO
    As far as sights go, is that what those little bumps are ?

14. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008
    thanx for the input guys. I just got this gun a week ago, but ive been sick as heck and didnt feel like jacking with it. I got in my Gunslick graphite grease and oil, and my 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to do a light feedramp buff. Im going to do clean and lube this bad boy today and go shooting monday on my lunchbreak. Cant wait.. ;D

15. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Would the Crimson Trace laser fit a 1st Gen. P-32 as well?

16. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    PshootR,

Yes, the LG430 will fit the 1st gen P32. you will see a gap between the gun frame and the laser under the barrel due to the difference between the 1st and 2ng gen guns but this will not affect the fit or performance. Happy shooting!

Dan

17. OhioGunToter

OhioGunToter New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Since the P3AT is a in your face type of gun, why would anyone want to spend another 200 dollars for laser sights.... take the money and buy another P3AT........Just a thought..

18. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    IMO sometimes the draw, point, shoot of an "in your face" weapon, doesn't always follow that script. There might be a need for accuracy under less than ideal situations from a greater distance than arms length. It's just another tool and option. In any attack, I would try to evade first, then reassess and go from there. Besides, I got it on sale for around 160 with holster and free shipping.  

19. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    OhioGunToter

Take it from another Buckeye, the P3AT becomes much more accurate with a laser. I have the Crimson Trace. It adds very little to the profile of the pistol. In fact I am using holsters that I had before I purchased the laser. Dry firing with snap caps is great indoor at home target practice with a laser. I don't remove it for cleaning, but I am very careful not to get solvent or oil on the laser. I have almost $500 bucks in my P3AT. I don't feel that is much for a self defense weapon that I carry every day!

Merry Christmas
    Craig

20. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I think I would be lonely without my CTC. My GF and I do a decent amount of shooting and we both have them. It really makes shooting fun IMO and so much more accurate. You can also see when you flinch and make the appropriate adjustments to your shooting. For those who think that this little gun isnt accurate just arent shooting to the gun capability. My GF can consistantly hold a 2" pattern at 7 yds with the laser, better than me :'( I even have a CTC on its way for my pf-9. I can't wait, what a pair that will be :D