Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I purchased my P3AT over a year ago. Maybe 2. Anyway, it is a 2nd gen and I have a couple questions. But first, some info.

I really don't remember shooting this gun more than a few times. I would estimate that I put 20 or 30 rounds at most through it since purchasing it new. I don't know why.. I just didn't shoot it much. And it was long enough ago that I've slept a lot since then and don't really remember if I had issues with it. I think if it had problems I would have remembered.

So I've been thinking about carrying it in a Nemesis in my back pocket. Today I took it to the range and put 50 rounds of Magtech through it. Had a few issues. Maybe 4 or 5 failures to eject/extract.

I'm not upset, because I really think the gun is still in break-in at this point. But I'm curious. I fired 3 mags of Critical Defense and didn't have any problems with it. And those were the last 3 mags I fired, so the gun was dirty.

Do just chalk it up to break-in and keep at it? Does Magtech normally function well in the P3? On my PF9 I added a second extractor spring and resolved all of my extraction problems. Has anyone had to do that with the P3?

Thanks for the help.. Sorry for the long post. :eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
21 views and no responses? Nobody has opinion regarding Magtech? Nobody has an opinion regarding an extra spring on the P3AT?

Did I speak the name that shall never be spoken? :p

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I think you already know the answer. Just keep breaking it in with standard FMJ and then fine an ammo that your gun "likes." If it doesn't like Magtec, then don't feed it Magtec.

Critical Defense, Golden Saber, Pow'rBall, and EFMJ are all said to work and feed well for some people.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Magtech is the FMJ I was breaking it in on. The Critical Defense didn't have issues. I will get some different FMJ rounds and try again. Maybe some PMC.

Also, is it possible that my magazine could be at fault? I read somewhere that people have had issues with the magazine allowing the next round to release to soon and get in the way of ejecting the spent round. Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't mean to come across rude. I was just trying to get some dialogue going! :)

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I don't think you came across as rude.

If the replies seem a bit "short" well, that's probably attributable to the fact that there is two standard bits of advice:

1) Break in the firearm
2) If it doesn't like brand X ammo, try brand Y

Those are sort of the "go to" answers early on. If those fail out, then the diagnosis moves on the firearm, magazines, etc. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd like a more detailed description of the failures to extract, eject. Could be any number of causes and solutions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try blazer brass, they work well for me!
I have good luck with that brand too. Usually can get it at a reasonable price so I use it when I find it.

I never get too concerned about problems unless its and obvious defect until I have put a few rounds through the pistol. Usually by 300 things should be running smoothly, maybe sooner.

Its great when everything runs perfect from the get go but thats not reality for many of our gun purchases. A friend had to put close to 500 rounds through his Kahr 380 before it settled down and ran ammo reliably.

Not sure why anyone would have to put a double spring on the extractor. I think mine would go back to the factory first to figure out why the single spring was not doing its job. My P3AT is the old Gen 1 and it works fine so far.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My P3AT will fire the "white" boxed stuff from wal Mart but others report it will not work for them. So even though they are all P3AT's they will eat different ammo differently. I have not tried the Magtech so I can't do any more for you then welcome you to the forum. And I to see nothing to complain about with your posts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

I ran another 120 rounds or so through it tonight. It did improve. Tonight I used Remington JHP's and FMJ's.

I had 2 extraction problems where the casing was left in the chamber. And, I had 2 ejection problems where the empty jammed in the slide. Honestly both of those were probably my fault. I felt like my grip loosened up on both of them.

So all in all I feel better about it. It failed less than the last time, so it very well may be a break-in deal and it will smooth out. The 2 extraction problems occurred early in my shooting. The limp wrists occurred later in my shooting when I was probably wearing out.

I'll get back to the range again later this week and get some more rounds through it. But, I am encouraged by the progress.

Also, I made myself the "innertube grip" tonight and it turned out really well!

:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Helps mine to clean it after 30 rounds or so. Remember to lock the wrists and absorb the recoil with flexing of the elbow. No problems with any ammo with my P3AT or PF9.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used 600 grit, then 1000 grit on the feed ramp and chamber tonight... I hadn't done any polishing before so I figured it could only help. I'm kinda proud of myself because I think I did a real good job. The ramp and chamber are both very smooth now and shiny too!

I should get to the range in the next day or two.. I'll let everyone know how the next trip goes.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
if you want it to really shine go on up in paper, 1200,1400,1800,2400,3600,4000,6000.. Make sure you have it rough and even all over before climbing up with the sandpaper. It does not take but a lil' sanding with each piece. I do outside of barrel too! That does look good. You can buy these papers at auto/body supplier cheap. Last forever and you will get that deep luster!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts