question about peening, washers, and springs

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tommy51s, Oct 24, 2007.

1. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    Hi to the brain trust; this site is packed with information.

I have a 2-week-old p3at that looks to have a thin hole in the slider for the spring guide. So...based on what I've read here I went to Tru-Value and got a thin (1/32" thick) 1/4"-OD nylon washer that fits perfectly. (I had to open up the washer's hole a smidgin with several strokes of rolled fine grit sandpaper.) Anyway, the fit now is perfect.

Except.....I noticed something. Without the washer the slide pulls back all the way until it contacts the front of the frame, with a nice "clicking" sound. But, with the washer I don't get that click. Instead there is a softer sound, and I think the slide and frame no longer come into contact. I think maybe the springs completely compress before that happens, and then the spring pressure on the washer determines the end of the slide's travel.

Does this matter? Or doesn't the slide ever go back that far on recoil anyway? Or is the answer to cut the springs a tad shorter to make up for the thickness of the washer.

thanks much,
    tommy

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the slide will go all the way to the frame when fired.
    if the spring goes solid, it will have to slip a coil and will put a kink in the spring.
    mine has done so. the only problem is the springs have to go back the same way so the kink fits.
    now my springs went solid 0.03" before the slide contact so just one coil kinked.

if the bottom of the hole in the slide is tapered, sand the washer to fit into that tapper and thus give more room for the spring.

3. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    Thanx JFB. That's great information. For now I've removed the washer and will keep my eyes open for peening. I take it that nipping the springs a little shorter is not an option.