question about 1st & 2nd Gen P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by clint_lnl, Jul 3, 2010.

1. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    I own now a sub2k 9mm and love it and trying to buy a P3AT from my My LGS. they have  2 , a used 1st gen ( $220.00 ) ( like new) and a new 2nd gen. ($250.00 ). Was wondering if one is better than the other or + or - of either. I have been reading and does not seam to be much differance to me.  is there ? or what would you buy if you had your choice.
    thanks Clint

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have both.  Don't get me  wrong, ascetically, I prefer the 1st gen guns although the differences are very subtle.  The 1st gen guns are slightly lighter in weight and have a tapered slide while the 2nd gen guns are flat on the top with a more Glock-like appearance in that respect.  The 1st gen sights are a little different.  People differ in which they prefer.  The 1st gen also has a more traditional looking extractor as opposed to the leaf spring extractor of the 2nd gen models.  The 1st gen gun had a detachable recoil rod capture that sometimes folks would misplace.  On the 2nd gen gun, that part was eliminated as it was built into the slide like the P11 and PF9.  All of the internal parts for both generations are the same.  For the first year or so, they were still doing some runs of 1st gen slides and barrels.  Sadly, it appears that they have discontinued that practice.  If you send a 1st gen gun in for repairs that requires those parts, they simply replace it with a new 2nd gen gun.

A well functioning 1st gen gun is a thing a beauty.  However, in terms of general performance and reliability, I'd have to give the nod to the 2nd gen.  If the shop would let you test out that first gen gun with a few mags of different SD ammo, I'd be tempted to recommend that one.  Otherwise, you are probably better off with the newer model.  That's a pretty fair price, however, I personally prefer the hard chrome models and I think they are worth the extra $25 (give or take).  

Also, there is the matter of the lifetime warranty. Technically, it only extends to the original buyer. As you probably know, KT plays don't ask - don't tell. Although the manual may instruct you to include a copy of your receipt when sending in for service, and they may occasionally say that on the phone, they have never required or enforced that policy. You send it in - they fix it, no questions asked. However, it is of course possible that some day that may change and they could start enforcing their own policy. I doubt it but who knows? Like the rest of us, Mr. Kellgren can't live forever. A new owner or new management could always change things up.

Either way, if you don't have an "always gun," get yourself a P3AT. Nothing carries easier and has that respectable amount of firepower... nothing. :cool:

3. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    Thank you Tx that was very helpful with lots of info. I do like the tapered slide and the sites in gen 1 but good point on the warranty on the new gen 2.

4. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I can only add that I have had a 1st generation P3AT since shortly after they first came on the market, and it has never failed me in any way. It is absolutely reliable, and just keeps on chugging. I have not had to replace or repair anything, and other than a very mild fluff and buff on the grip and polishing the barrel a bit, have done nothing to it except add at CT laser sight for convenience in aiming. I hope I never have to send it in, as I personally far prefer the gen 1 to the gen 2 (as good as the gen 2 is). And since this is a gun that is "carried a lot, and shot a little", I don't anticipate any problems for years more.

Jim R

5. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

My gen. 1 was an abomination in the reliability dept. My gen. 2 is a jewell.

6. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    thanks again everyone for the great help, I went back to the LGS and the 1st gen was still there so I put a deposit to hold it for me.

7. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Wise choice. You picked the sexier, lighter perfect pocket gun. I hope you enjoy it, and only have punch holes in paper with it. :)

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    I've got both a 1st & 2nd generation. I sure hope the 1st gen. P3AT never has to go back to the factory; I llike it the way it is.