qualified with my p3at!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by joje, Apr 29, 2008.

1. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i got my iowa ccw permit today!! ive been waiting so long since down here its still not shall issue, you have to justify. i thought i wouldnt qualify since i have no specific threat against my person, but finally i applied saying that i believe in the right to bear arms and i want to be able to do so for personal defense, in particular since i spend a lot of time on the road. much to my surprise it was no problem at all. took a class that ive already taken before in another state, went to qualify with my p3at this morning and now im sitting here with a permit in my hand and a blister on my trigger finger knuckle ;D

50 shots of wwb in 10 minutes, i did goof up and ended up with 98% but other than that no problems at all. when my qp3at was new it would sometimes be a bit picky with wwb when it started to get dirty but now that its broken in it doesnt seem to be a problem at all anymore. one thing though: i accidentally dry-fired it once. a single occurance like that isnt gonna hurt it is it?

2. A single dry fire on a 3AT should not hurt, as one of my shooting buddies does not know how to count while he is shooting mine!

The problem with doing it alot is that the steel trigger hits the alum. frame. Not good!

AND .....Congrats on the permit, and be safe!

3. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Dry firing too much without snap caps will mangle the threads of the "frankenbolt" (the screw holding in the extractor and the firing pin). Not a problem if you never need to take it apart, but never say never...

4. ISUSteveIA

ISUSteveIA New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Congrats on passing. I'm thinking of getting mine soon. You in Polk county?

5. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL
    Just a question (maybe a little off topic)- I read a lot of posts about "qualifying" to get a CCW. What exactly does that consist of? I have a CCW, and the course I took here in Florida seemed kind of simple. After the classroom session, the class went to the nearest shooting range, and we each took a turn firing a single shot from the instructor's revolver. He then signed our certificates and we were on our way. You guys make it sound like to have to use your own gun, and shoot a bunch of rounds. Just wondering.

6. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    I have a CPL (CCW) in Michigan. Took the class with NRA.
    On the Range we used our own guns. had to shoot 50 rounds.
    25 feet at a paper plate.
    Charlie.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Good for you! Hope you never have to use your gun for SD; hope you train as though you will.

Take care...

8. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Congrats on qualifying and winning a small victory in your state. My mind still has problems grasping that whole "shall issue" idea sometimes so it's good to hear from a person they issued a permit to.

9. redman7924

redman7924 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    I havent taken mine yet. I live Missouri and I went to talk to the instructor he said you have to qualify with an semi-auto and a wheel gun 20 out of 25 on both so 40 out of 50 shots should get your permit! I may be wrong I am sure someone on here knows for sure!

10. coachteet

coachteet New Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Good for you!! I had to do an NRA qualification in OH (took the class about 5 weeks ago, got the license about 1 week later). 50 rounds with my p3at, nothing outside the 8, few outside the 9 at 7 yds. The instructor carried p3at as a BUG, p11 with 15 rds as primary, switching to a S&W 642 when it get to coat weather. He felt the p3at was the perfect carry gun. Since that was going to be my carry all the time gun, and some folks in the class sort of scoffed at the gun, I thought I'd prove a point.

Plus, it just seemed right to me to qualify with my CCW. People were out there shooting 1911 45's, because they were "more accurate with them", and admitting they were going to carry much smaller/different guns. Just seemed odd to me. It is kind of a "broad side of a barn" test anyway.

11. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Not to hijack, but why the hard time grasping "shall issue"? I live in a "shall issue" state and feel its the closest thing to what the writers of the constitution intended (except that it's the STATE and not the FEDERAL gov't that regulates, unlike any other constitutional right.)

just curious.

-Moleman

12. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Here in Florida (despite what some instructors will have you believe - because they actually earn more for 'training' you) there is absolutely no training requirement. You only have to demonstrate that you can safely discharge a firearm. That is as per the Florida statutes.  Sounds like you took the same CCW class as I did (offered at the gun show).  My CCW instructor said that he failed people all the time who were 'unable' to safely discharge the firearm.  If they were clueless he failed them...flat out!  In Florida you are expected to be knowledgeable 'before' you take the course.

13. NAS_T_MAG

NAS_T_MAG New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    In Ohio you need 10 hours of classroom and 2 hours range time. It's a 2 day deal. Most of the classroom time involves the legal complications of using or misusing a firearm.

A lot of it is just common sense. Like having a lawyer on retainer and carrying an umbrella insurance policy. It seems like most posters on gun forums don't consider the complications of exposing or using a gun.

14. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL
    Here in Florida (despite what some instructors will have you believe - because they actually earn more for 'training' you) there is absolutely no training requirement. You only have to demonstrate that you can safely discharge a firearm. That is as per the Florida statutes.  Sounds like you took the same CCW class as I did (offered at the gun show).  My CCW instructor said that he failed people all the time who were 'unable' to safely discharge the firearm.  If they were clueless he failed them...flat out!  In Florida you are expected to be knowledgeable 'before' you take the course.[/quote]

Yeah, I took the course at the gun show in WPB. Ain't Florida great? ;D

15. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    isusteve,

i live in cerro gordo. hate to bring bad news but our instructor explicitly mentioned polk county as the only county that can give their applications a real hard time. but from what i understood, if you take the special polk training and you justify your need well, its by no means impossible. one odd thing about cerro gordo is that they restrict your permit so you can ONLY carry the pistol(s) you qualified with. on top of that they write down the serials, effectively registering them :( oh well :)

16. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Here in Oklahoma it's a half day classroom then 50 rounds at the range. If you qualify with a derringer you can only carry a derringer. A revolver, a revolver & a derringer. A pistol, you can carry all three types.

I used my P85. IIRC it was at 15 feet or so. Most folks used P22s.