Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and got a question.  I bought my P3AT a few weeks ago, and finally shot it today.  I fired a mix of Gold Dots (20 rounds) and blazer brass (50 rds).  I towasrds the end of the session,  my mag would eject itself far enough that it wouldn't chamber a round, I'd have to rack the slide, and continue on. :(  I readjusted my grip from the web of my hand to the first area below the 'elbow' of my thumb, and pulled the trigger with the finger tip, and it still eject the mag after the 4th or 5th round.  After the 2nd or 3rd time it did that, I my shooting for an OH SH!T!!! drill.

Has other lefties had similar problems or are my fat fingers hitting the mag release during recoil?  Beside the mag problem, the gun was actually pretty accurate considering.  My first mag of GD's all hit within a 6" circle @ 25-30 feet.  ;D  the other rounds were all on target, just here, there , and everywhere, but no misses.  :) I was at an indoor range, so I wasn't allowed to move the target closer.

EDIT:  I did have 3 stovepipes (?) I had to pull the mag, then rack the slide for the MT to drop.

This was going to be my carry pistol unless I can't fix the problem.   Thanks,  Richard

UPDATE:

I got my pistol back from KT and they Replaced slide and/or barrel, polished Feed Ramp, and test fired. They did add a note Not to use steel cased ammo. :-[ (note to self: Blazer ammo is not Blazer brass ammo)

I am very happy with KTs customer service, since I could have charged me for replacing the damaged parts because I was using crappy ammo, even though I didn't know it at the time. :-[

Thanks for everyones help. Richard

G

·
Re: Q for the Lefty shooters

I am left handed and have shot thousand s of rounds through my kt minis and NEVER had that problem ever....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

Some here have sanded down the mag release
button almost flush to avoid ths, I'm not one of
them, just passin along the info.

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Rubb said:
Some here have sanded down the mag release
button almost flush to avoid ths, I'm not one of
them, just passin along the info.

Rob
I was thinking about doing that, I just didn't know if the buttom was hollow, with my luck it would have been. When I have a grip on it, none of my finger fat is touching the button. I have the extension on my mags, so it's not getting crazy on the recoil.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

May be you need to replace the mag release.

They are fairly soft plastic, and the magazines are steel. The magazines also often have sharp burr's inside the mag release cut-out.

The mag release can quickly get chewed up if you slam the mags into the gun without holding the release in.
It's also a good idea to hold pressure up on the mag when you release it.

That takes away the chance for the mag to chew up the mag release every time you change them.

rcmodel

·
Registered
664 Posts

I have a 2G P-3AT and the mag. button is very easy to push,I also have a 1g P32 and the mag. Button is much harder to push,I think the spring on the P-32 is much stronger than the one on the P-3AT. 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I went back out to the range, shot a few mags right handed with my thumb perpendicular of the pistol, and left hand under the grip area, and still blew the mag out. Unless my middle finger is pressing it on recoil, I have no clue as what's going on. I also had a couple more FTEject, and one live round caught by the slide. The Ammo was American Eagle. shooting lefty, my GDs dropped the mag on the firsts three shots. This was with 2 different mags.

Tomorrow, I'll try sanding down the mag release and try again next weekend with another brand of ammo. if it still FUBAR, back to KT it goes.

The only good thing about today was my XD45 ate 600rds w/o a hiccup. ;D

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

Your mag catch is toast. You need to replace it.

It's not hard to do following the link I posted above.

You can call KT and they will send you out one & a spring free.

Save you shipping the gun back.

rcmodel

G

·

agree rc, if one takes care of his mag release, they will last.  I have not replaced my mag button in any of my kt's and I have thousands of rounds through all of them BUT I do press the release when inserting and I always hold the mag upon releaseing it.  I see no reason to speed load mine in particular for I do not carry a spare mag. If I can't do it in 7 shots I am outta here. I have never had a mag ever pop out yet ;D IMO you have a spirng problem, either came out of its socket or was not put in right in the first place..

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Hmm... a new gun with a worn mag catch. We have seen one or two that shipped with a boogered up catch. Call KT Monday and tell them you need a new catch and spring. File down the old catch an give it a go. If that doesn't work, you needed the new parts. If filing it works, you were hitting it and spares are good to have anyway.

There are 3 possibilities here: If you are sure you are not hitting the catch when the gun goes off, there is a 99% chance the mag catch is bad. There is a very small possibility that you have a warped polymer grip (handle) in which case the new catch won't be a fix. This is very rare but has happened a few times in a few hundred thousand guns. I think Wilson got one like that once, but when you have as many P3s as he does, you eventually see every obscure problem that can happen. Let's see what develops.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

TxCajun said:
Hmm... a new gun with a worn mag catch.
It's entirely possible some gun shop commando practiced IPSC speed-reloads with the new gun for half a day, while waiting for a customer to show up.

rcmodel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

rcmodel said:
It's entirely possible some gun shop commando practiced IPSC speed-reloads with the new gun for half a day, while waiting for a customer to show up.

rcmodel
I've nevewr slammed the mag home, just push the final 1/8th " home with the thumb. I took it wout this am and fired off 4 mags of WWB and still had FTE. I was pushing up with my left hand to keep the mag in place. I think I'm going to send it back to KT and have them work on the catch, and the FTE problem. It shouldn't be that damn pickey on ammo. I don't feel comfortable swapping out the mag catch...I'm not mechanicly included and don't have the patience for it.

I did find it odd, that the manual doesn't say to ship it overnight to them. A non FFL might get in touble shipping it SBTCW (slow boat to china way).

G

·

hvycyy. ship it back ups, to cnc industries, cost with insurance is around bucks, gets there in about 3 days. U don't hav eto delcare what is in it to ups, and if they ask it is machine parts.

G

·

HVYCHVY said:
I'll ship it back using DHL from work tomorrow. they have 3 -4 different nextday shipping costs.  I'll tell them its an $800 CNC'd part ;)

High speed hole punch

·
Registered
664 Posts

rc,I took my P-3AT and my P-32 apart "field striped" today then checked the springs , and the one in the 32 is muck stronger than the one in the 380.I had my wife & one of my son's Try them and thay also said the same thing.What I am thinking is maybe KT dosn't know some are heaver than others,and that is why some are easy to drop the mag.While others are harder.What do you think? 8)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

I think anything is possible in the KT parts department! :eek:

I believe they order many of the small parts like springs from outside vender's, and it's highly likely your two springs came from different batch orders. Possibly not even from the same spring manufacture.

I know when I was de-bugging my FG P3AT, it was just luck of the draw to get up-graded extractors & ejectors. Took three tries to get a new extractor that was any different then the one I was trying to replace.

Apparently they just dump all the same parts in a bin and grab whatever floats to the top when they fill orders.

Probably works the same way on the assembly line. IE: Parts bin gets low, order comes in, dump it on top of the remaining old parts in the bin and use whatever comes up next when you reach in there and grab one.

Course, I'm just guessing that's how they do it? ???

Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to pull both yours out and compare them. That is the first I have heard of there being two different strength mag catch springs.

rcmodel

G

·

probably an upgrade in springs. If one ask kt that they would tell you that they have made no changes in the springs. I have called them before to get the new style extractor (one with the sharp point) only to be told that they have no "new style" extractor and the first time they send me 4 extractors (which I ordered and paid for) and they were all the old blunted style. They went back with a note and when returned were the "new style" I am at a loss to figure their parts dept. out to this day. Luck of the draw--u bet...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.