Push Up Holster?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jdmsds, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    After 2 years of use, i'm looking to replace my cheapo Uncle Mikes holster with something else.

Does anyone have any experience with "push up" style holsters?

I usually only carry the p3at in the summer so i like being able to conceal it with just a t shirt...... looks like the push up style holsters ride very low which would certainly conceal well but possibly make drawing the gun hard.

Opinions? Oh and i've tried pocket holsters and they're not for me.....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA922-33.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-push-up-inside-the-pants-holster.html

2. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010

3. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee

::)

I do not carry IWB.  Not even my NAA mini is comfortable for me to carry that way.  My wife, on the other hand, wanted to be able to carry her P32 IWB so I made her a holster much like the ones to which you linked.  With the first holster you linked, I am not so sure about their statement that the pistol sits completely below the beltline.  Look at where the clip is - the top of the clip (which is well below the grip of the pistol) kind of shows where the top of the waistband would ride across the holster. The holster I made for my wife does not hold the gun completely below the waistline because I thought that would make it too difficult to present the weapon quickly and easily.

My wife hasn't carried, much but she likes hers and, with her build and the small, flat P32 (which is nearly identical in size to a P3AT) completely disappears.  The grip does sit just above her waistband, making it pretty easy for her to draw (although obviously more difficult when sitting in a car, etc.)  I made hers so that the leather in the back of the holster covers pretty much the whole gun, grips and all, to prevent contact between the pistol and her skin.  Retention is provided by the pressure of the waistband of her pants and I made hers rough-side-out to help keep the holster in place better.

She usually carries hers at about 3:00, almost right above her jeans pocket, to be comfortable when sitting.  Of course, her build is different from a guy's build so YMMV.

BTW and FWIW, I mostly only carry my P3AT in the warmer months, too.  I find that mine will conceal well under just a T-shirt when carried OWB in a FOBUS at about 3:15 to 3:30 or so.  With a grip sleeve on the P3AT keeping the checkering on the grip from 'sandpapering' my skin, I don't even need an undershirt tucked in between me and the pistol for comfort.  That setup is hard to beat for easy access.  I do still use a pocket holster on those rare occasions when I am concerned that even the P3AT in a FOBUS might not be deep enough concealment but that doesn't come up very often (for me, pocket carry of a BUG is okay but I prefer not to pocket carry my primary unless the situation pretty much demands it for deep-concealment purposes.)  

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I would suggest you spend a little more money on a quality IWB holster. Kholster works very well for my PF9 and now my G27. They offer a ton of adjustment and they two belt clips spread the weight better that one, also they holster is thinner because the clip dosen't add bulk to the gun itself. If you'd like I could give you a 10% off code I got from my recent order. They also offer a lifetime warranty even if you modify it yourself.

http://kholster.com/products.htm

I only pocket carry my P3at. I like the fact that it's easy to just slip it into my pocket and I can get a full grip on my P3 without anyone knowing.

CJ

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I bought a Quest tuckable leather holster for $25 at a LGS and love the thing. I like knowing I can make my gun disappear when it's IWB if the occasion calls for it.