Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

What is the result of increasing the mass and weight of this part, the pump handle, from the original design?
Such as adding handles, lights and whatnot. Several ounces and up, say.

Does it actually cycle better? Does/has it caused problems?

Could it be the source of some problems?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Given that it is a manually operated slide action, that should have no bearing whatsoever. That of course presumes whatever is added does not interfere with full travel.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Newton's 2nd Law of Motion describes the effect.

You'll have a harder time getting the slide to move, and once you get it moving, it will tend to want to stay moving. Considering the last 1/4 inch of KSG slide travel... the added momentum of the slide (within reason) might not be a bad thing. Your arm is only so strong, so at some point additional mass will be detrimental to momentum and inhibit the acceleration of the slide.

If you look some firearms designs you see that careful control of mass has been an interesting study. Take, for example, the Colt double action revolver. It has a massive cylinder release that must be pulled rearward to unlock the cylinder. That mass contributes to the "lockup" of the mechanism under recoil. Put another way, the frame moves backward under recoil, and the release wants to stay put, so things get tighter. Colts have a very weak return spring on the cylinder latches. They don't need a strong spring. Smith & Wesson is different. You push the latch forward to unlock. The part is less massive than Colts, and the spring forces are greater - since it must remain locked during recoil. Ruger double actions have a pivoting release, and you can stick one those huge bullseye shaped Power Custom releases on a Ruger and it doesn't effect the operation of lockup, or spring tensions. The Ruger revolvers with "bar-in-frame" crane locks are also using a little momentum to to keep that bar in place in the frame, making things tighter under recoil.

Considering mass and the action of the slide is really an outstanding question, thanks for asking it!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Such as adding handles, lights and whatnot. Several ounces and up, say.
You think he's going to notice a few ounces while racking a KSG?
I dunno 61-10.... I had a whatnot once that seemed pretty heavy, but granted... I never got it on the scale.

OTOH, and more seriously, our Michaeljager might be gifted with a golden shoulder, and a glass elbow. Or is it glass shoulder and golden elbow? Whatever, maybe he would notice. If you packed just few things on that fore end.. light, rail reinforcement, forward grip... you could add a half pound - easy - to the weight. So to answer yer question---> "maybe".

·
Registered
313 Posts
all you got is plastic.. so your really only as strong as the plastic..

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
It might cycle better because of increased leverage. I have never had any cycling issues with either my Gen 1 or Gen 2 KSG's but then both have had Magpul stubby VFG's right out of the box!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I dunno 61-10.... I had a whatnot once that seemed pretty heavy, but granted... I never got it on the scale.

OTOH, and more seriously, our Michaeljager might be gifted with a golden shoulder, and a glass elbow. Or is it glass shoulder and golden elbow? Whatever, maybe he would notice. If you packed just few things on that fore end.. light, rail reinforcement, forward grip... you could add a half pound - easy - to the weight. So to answer yer question---> "maybe".
Golden arm (johnny unitas), Glass jaw(probably me)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
... light, rail reinforcement, forward grip... you could add a half pound - easy - to the weight. So to answer yer question---> "maybe".
Mine has all that and works perfectly.

Reactions: Michaeljager
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.