Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new KT owner, a PF9 with hard chrome slide to be exact.

KT states that this pistol has a 5# trigger pull.

Testing mine results in 7.5#, a 50% increase over what the factory claims.

Is this abnormal and should I bring it to tha attention of the manufacturer? Seems to me that if you are going to advertise something, your product should at least be close to what you advertise...

And yes I am aware of the northwood trigger, and I am smart enough to clean up part lines and burrs with a smooth emery board (especially when the burr digs into my finger tip)

I am just trying to figure out if this is something I should bring to KTs attention.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
PF-9 trigger pulls run about 6-6.5 lbs normally on those I have checked. Likely after a bit use, yours will smooth out and be in that range after you have run 200-300 rounds through the pistol in break in and done some snap cap firing. Also, pull weight measurements can vary a lb or two depending on where on the trigger you place the measuring device.

Jim R

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
...And yes I am aware of the northwood trigger, and I am smart enough to clean up part lines and burrs with a smooth emery board (especially when the burr digs into my finger tip)

I am just trying to figure out if this is something I should bring to KTs attention.
Adding the Northwood trigger won't lessen the trigger pull. It will only make it feel lighter.
You could also polish the trigger bar and that will smooth the pull a bit.
The one part of the trigger assembly you can't polish and smooth is the hammer spring. Exercise it... A bunch. :)

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
KT states that this pistol has a 5# trigger pull.
Where does KT state this? I have never seen a trigger weight published for the PF9. The P3AT is listed at 5 pounds. When the PF9 first came out, we were told by a KT engineer that it was in the 6 - 7 pound range.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Dale, not to dis-agree or nothing...

PF-9
The PF-9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9mm Luger cartridge. It has been developed from our highly successful P-11 and P-3AT pistols with maximum concealability in mind. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is one of the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made. Firing mechanism is Double-Action Only with an automatic hammer block safety. The PF-9 is available in blued, parkerized, and hard chrome finishes. Grips are in black, grey, and olive drab.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: 9mm Luger 9 x 19 mm
Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz. 360g
Loaded magazine: 5.5 oz. 156g
Length: 5.85" 149mm
Height: 4.3" 109mm
Width: 0.88" 22mm
Barrel Length: 3.1" 79mm
Capacity: 7 + 1
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 22.2N
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pf-9/

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Hmm... For years no trigger pull weight was listed. When did they add that? KTWM originally told us 6 - 7 pounds and compared to the P11, that was/is great. I don't buy 5 pounds. :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that a 7# trigger on a DAO is not a bad pull weight. (anyone got the wei9ght on a LC9?)

When I get the chance, I intend to do a partial fluff and buff, just have not gotten the time as yet.

If KT had stated 5-8# on their specs page, I would not have bothered.

If this was one of my personally built 1911s for my own use, I would expect to spend 5 hours or more doing nothing else but carefully de-horning, burr removal and polishing. (FYI 1911 guys, the Nowlin guide rods are coming with a 350-400 grit finish these days, be warned)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doesn't really sound like an issue you should be concerned with. Out of the box mine felt rather stiff, but after a few hundred rounds began to settle in a bit. I'm planning on installing the Northwood trigger and while I'm in there I'll probably smooth/polish the trigger parts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine seamed heavy so I did some inspection and found that the trigger mech was rubbing. I took it apart and found that when the pin was inserted to mount the trigger it was rubbing against the side of the housing. I filed down the side of the trigger, did a fluf & buff and wow, what a difference. If it was 7 lbs before, it is 4 lbs now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took it apart, cleaned out plastic shavings and carbon, re-assembled it and it now breaks between 5.5 and 6# go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts