Public Service Announcement: Keep your thumbs down

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jaegan, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jaegan

jaegan New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    [​IMG]
    In no way the fault of my P3-AT, entirely my own fault, due to improper grip (I was trying to replicate a hold that I was having success with on a larger gun, and didn't pay attention to how high my thumb was before I squeezed the trigger. So I got to take a short trip to the ER, and get 5 stitches in my thumb.   ::)
    Just a word of caution to all that we should always have our heads screwed on straight when we're handling our weapons.
    Pic is a few days after the injury, the red spot to the right of the stitches is where the right corner of the slide hit, and the left side is what did the damage.  I was just happy I didn't get blood on the slide and mess up the bluing.

2. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Re: Public Service Announcement: Keep your thumbs

Ouch. Another 1 of lifes valuable lessons. I have caught a few people that are used to wheel guns trying to keep their thumb up on autos. Luckily I caught them before they pulled the trigger.

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Nice PSA with pics.

With all the brand new gun owners out there I'm sure there are quite a few learning this valuable lesson the hard way and with bigger calibers.

Hopefully some of them will get tired of banging their thumbs and want to unload their torture devices for a good price. :D Not the OP of course ...

4. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005

Yep feel the pain, but I had more luck my first time.
    About 1990 was testing new Taurus PT92, just barely got me.
    Sure did get my attention, knew it could have been worse.
    Been very careful since.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

Now for the $64,000 dollar question.

Did it cause the gun to jam?   ;D

rc

6. 3AXBAT

3AXBAT New Member

Feb 2, 2009

At the range we'd see this all the time, but never so bad as to need stitches.  The worst gun for biting the hand that feeds it is the Beretta Tomcat.  A shooter with fleshy hands will get twin tracks sliced across the web of his hand, even when he is doing things right.  A Hi-Power and a PPK will give me some hammer bite, but nothing I've seen is as blood thirsty as a Tomcat.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Yep, had been shooting revolvers before getting my P3AT and sure enough on the first shot I tore up my left hand thumb knuckle. I shot my revolvers with my left thumb over my right thumb (down by the web), it made a good [revolver] grip with the ability to use the thumb to shoot single action without changing my grip. Needless to say I've since changed my grip so that it works for both semi and wheel gun shooting.

Take care...

8. jaegan

jaegan New Member

Mar 13, 2007

Not a hiccup.  The gun performed flawlessly.  I handed it to my shooting buddy to unload while I had my thumb in my mouth, and then wrapped a bandana around my thumb before I passed out the first time (shock I guess, the injury itself wasn't really that serious).  Passed out again before they got me in the van to go to the ER.  I never realized I was such a wimp.  :eek:
    I've been reminded frequently of a John Wayne line from "Big Jake".  When asked if the sight of blood bothers him, Wayne says "Only my own."

9. Biker_Jim

Biker_Jim New Member

Mar 12, 2009

I wasn't going to mention this 'cause I was kinda embarassed about sticking my thumb in my mouth to catch the blood after my first ever shot with my new toy. I didn't need stitches but I sure could have used a kind word. I just wrapped my handkerchief around it and stalled around until the feeling came back.  The friendly guy in the next lane suggested I wear welder's gloves next time. It was a little late for the "kind" suggestion.  :-X
    I put another 50/60 rounds thru my new P3AT with NO FTLs or FTEs. I did some of the F&B before shooting it the first time and was real happy about the way it performed.
    Finished the day with 50/60 rounds thru my Bersa and then some thru the 22. All in all it was a fun and enlightening (tho painful) day.  ;D

10. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.

I did something similar a few months back. Was cleaning my P3 & P11 after a trip shooting. After re-assembly I pulled the slide on the P11 back and let it "fly" forward. Unfortunately the tip of my ring finger was in the way. Blood went everywhere. Probably should have had stitches but didn't. Took forever for the bleeding to stop...Am much more careful where my fingers are now when cleaning :)

John

11. hump

hump New Member

Feb 22, 2009

I saw this happen yesterday during a CWP class. The guy had to be hurting but kept on shooting. I am sure he is sore today.

12. adamky

adamky New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Louisville, KY

As much as that probably hurts, you'll never do it again. The best lessons usually involve doing something wrong that causes you pain.   ;)

Well, heck yeah. Those classes aren't as cheap as they used to be. When I took the class (3 years ago), I paid like $65-70 for the class. They are now charging $125+ and most classes are full way ahead of time. I would have soldiered through the pain too!!

13. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005

I'm glad I got my CWP 20 years ago.