Psuedo-Decocking P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by anti_climax, Jun 9, 2008.

1. anti_climax

anti_climax New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Greetings all.

I've recently become aware of a "feature" of my 2nd generation P3AT, and wanted to discuss its possible ramifications.

After installing the new magazine catch KT sent me and reassembling, I was working the action and noticed something. If you pull the slide back slightly, perhaps a quarter of an inch, you can move the trigger past the point where it would normally catch and start pulling the hammer back for a full swing to fire. If you then let the slide return forward you can release the hammer from it's "half-cocked" position by continuing to pull the trigger to the position where the gun would normally fire.

The questions I'd like to pose to the others here are as follows:

As the trigger movement is going to move the hammer block, do any of you know if the diminished movement of the hammer would allow it to fall without hitting the firing pin hard enough to make in contact the round in the chamber?

If this can be done without discharging a round, would the movement imparted on the firing pin still be akin to dry firing the gun?

As the gun can be recocked with a slightly larger movement of the slide - about a half an inch - would any of you consider using this method of decocking when carrying your P3AT should it be determined safe?

Do you think this applies to other similar KTs like the first gen P3AT, P32, etc?

I plan on stopping at the range when I get a chance and testing this, but I wanted to make you all aware of it and get your thoughts on it.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Isn't that the same thing as partially releasing till first click and then pulling trigger till hammer falls from block?

Rack the slide and hold back
    pull and hold the trigger
    release slide
    slowly release trigger 1/2 way till click
    pull trigger fully
    hammer falls from block

If so, It MIGHT fire a round,

I tried mine after I clipped the FP spring a couple coils and it did not fire Remingtons, BUT I would not try unless pistol was pointed at a proper backstop

Now, it has been implied that NEW KTs triggers will not have this action

3. anti_climax

anti_climax New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    The procedure you mentioned has the same end effect of what I was describing, yes.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    SHHHH!!
     Don't tell Ruger, but this improvement is just starting to ship.  :)
    no more snapping off the hammer-block for P-32, P-3AT, and PF-9's... :p

P-32: CJQ00
    P-3AT: JRW00
    PF-9: R9800

[/quote]

5. anti_climax

anti_climax New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    So to summarize, At worst I could discharge a round "Decocking" the P3AT, at best I'm successful, and in between I have possible damage to the firing pin and likely damage to the hammer block...

Guess that settles that.

Thanks for the insight.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    that's it

Why do you want to decock with a round in the chamber anyway?

That would put the hammer on the firing pin, FP against the primer and thus very likely to drop fire

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    P3s don't get cocked. The hammer is resting on the hammer block or being pulled back & released. It never cocks.

8. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks for the last two posts. None of this made any sense as I was trying to figure it out.

In another post regarding a possible "fix" of the hammer block problem in the next generation....... can someone briefly explain what the problem is?

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    After you fire a round, If you release the trigger till you feel the first click AND THEN pull the trigger back, the hammer is not pulled back, but just falls from the block with not enough force to fire the round.

Now your gun is out of service, you have to rack (or partial rack) to reset the trigger so the full trigger pull will bring the hammer back, let it go and fire a round.

10. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
  11. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks JFB I couldn't figure how ot put that in words that made sense. FWIW KT has instituted a running change that eliminates that issue.

12. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Is there any harm caused by trying this with snap caps? I'd like to see/feel it happen to better understand it. Thanks again for the explanation!!!!

13. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    No harm at all - that's what snap caps are for. Just be sure to not have any real ammo in the mag or chamber when tinkering.