Featured Prototype RDB replacement m-lok handguard

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Lee Majors, Jul 21, 2017.

1. I love it.

63.6%
  2. Not bad.

27.3%
  3. I hate it.

9.1%
  4. Who sent you?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lee Majors

Lee Majors Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Hello the camp!

Keltec says they have no timeline to make a replacement handguard... so I am.

M-Lok with QD mounts on the back. It'll be 6061-T6 anodized black aluminum. The prototype is enroute to us as we speak but the design below is our final prototype. Just wanted to get some feedback on what people think about it.

A few things to note:

1. There's no real way to free float it. Nothing to attach to the receiver area to secure it.

2. We have tried to make two reinforcement pieces front and rear in an attempt to anchor the handguard better for bipod-mounted shooting to eliminate the POI shift, but we'll have to actually try to shoot it and see if it still has a problem.

We will make changes as needed for fitment, feel, and function, and once we have finalized the design, it'll take 3-4 weeks to produce, anodize, and be ready to ship. We're hoping around Labor Day.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

yogagoat, 850sub and SpacemanFrank like this.
  2. Pistol-Pete

Pistol-Pete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    I'm pretty psyched to check these out because I think the forend has the most opportunity for improvement on the RDB.

I realize there isn't a way to free float the forend. Very interested to see if a stiffer unit will help accuracy. I'm sure the aluminum will help with heat dispersion.

Lee Majors likes this.

3. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Active Member

Feb 21, 2014
    nice work. can I send you some sketches?

Lee Majors likes this.
  4. Lee Majors

Lee Majors Member

Jul 21, 2017
    OK, folks. The moment you've all been waiting for. The big reveal on painted and mounted prototype for the Keltec RDB m-lok replacement handguard!

These will be manufactured in 6061-T6 aluminum, with QD holes at the rear 3 o'clock, 6, and 9. The first batch will be lightly powder coated (like the valve covers on an Audi or BMW) to make the surface slightly grippy without being ugly. We will make a second batch if sales on the first batch go well anodized smooth coat for those who want a smooth look and want to mount m-lok rail covers for grip instead or under-side fore-grips.

They will be secured in the rear by a tighter tolerance on the mounting pins (you will have to take a plastic or rubber mallet and tap them onto these slots GENTLY - the fit is .002" clearance), and in the front by an included 1/4 inch 8-32 inner THREADED mounting bolt that goes into the gas block while the handguard is off, then 8-32 screws left and right tighten the rail to the block with blue loctite and a 6-32 screw on the BOTTOM locks the rail from vertical movement. This baby will be MUCH more secure than the factory and hopefully eliminate any POI shift if shooting with a bipod.

That's the details on our handguard.

Without further adieu... pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
    HatRon56, SpacemanFrank and 850sub like this.
  5. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    you got some skills

Lee Majors likes this.
  6. 6.5UnicornGun

6.5UnicornGun New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Oh yes....

RBD-C 6.5 Grendel in OD Green once released. Swap to pistol grip, one of those nice looking handguard.... Cerakote....

Mmmmmm

A man can dream.

Lee Majors likes this.
  7. 6.5UnicornGun

6.5UnicornGun New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Once I can acquire and RDB or two I'll be queueing up.

Lee Majors likes this.
  8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Guys, Lee Majors has violated forum rules by posting commerce in our regular forums. The info that violated has been removed.

Please read our rules regarding commerce here at KTOG.

KTOG FORUM RULES

Any more violations will get this thread AND topic locked...so please follow our rules.

9. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Screenshot_20170731-200657.png
    I SUPPORT RULE ABIDING MARKETERS!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
  11. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
  12. 6.5UnicornGun

6.5UnicornGun New Member

Jul 31, 2017
  13. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Great job Lee Majors!!
    That looks great. Can't wait to see you follow through...

Lee Majors likes this.
  14. Lee Majors

Lee Majors Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Well, since I didn't see a rule on that as a sticky, guess I missed it.

I'll try to dig through the site to find the sales rules since they don't seem to be out and obvious as some other boards have.

In the meantime, and hopefully this doesn't violate one of the rules, if any of you are interested, please shoot me a PM and I'll give you our website and contact info.

Thank you,

15. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    3wbdriver likes this.
  16. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    When you get ready to sell anything, there's a thread named Trading Post, post it in there.
    The rules should be at the top of that page.

17. Lee Majors

Lee Majors Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Got it, sorry to have not understood the rules.

I'll post in the Trading Post, didn't even see it prior to this. Thanks for the PM's.

18. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Have you given any thought to making matching "covers" for the back half of the rifle? Might look pretty cool?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  19. yogagoat

yogagoat New Member Supporter

Jun 14, 2016
    Shut up and take my money!

20. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Let's not speak of money or financing or any "commerce" related anything...keep to our rules. Until Lee Majors gets a few things arranged on the backside. Paperwork and crap, you know.

Thank you!