Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  There has been talk of somebody modifying a P3AT to shoot .22 ammo. It would be really nice if KT would make this for us.

However, that could take a long while to come to fruition. If There IS to be such a gun made, I fear we will have to do it ourselves.

It is a truly HUGE project. No ONE of us is going to accomplish it alone. I propose a KTOG GROUP EFFORT! Let's work together and noodle this out. No idea is to be considered too dumb.

I see several problem areas:

1. A firing pin conversion for rimfire ammo.
2. A barrel rifled for .22 ammo.
3. Will it need an extractor? If so how to do it.
4. Does it have to be a blowback or can we make it work as a locked breech?
5. A magazine must be made to work.

That's just off the top of my head--there may be other problems that i have forgotten to mention.

Rc model and I have SOME ideas. Rc has found a suitable and available magazine that will probably adapt.

Rc also has ideas of making the barrel. I have a possible barrel liner.

We need some other brains to start thinking about this also. Please let's hear your thoughts about possible solutions.

NO NAY SAYERS PLEASE!

Packer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: PROJECT: MAKE OUR OWN P3-22

not sure about the locked breach...sooooo...u shud at least make it a .22 mag!

just looking at my ruger mark II 22/45...it has an extractor like the first gen P3...a bolt w/ a machined rim indent...plus a slot in the bolt for the ejector(attached to the fixed bolt/barrel housing)...

plenty of 22 barrels on ebay...i wud think a machined insert wud be the best option.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The whole point is to make a cheap but identical practice weapon so .22 LR is going to be the ammo.

Can you post pics of that extractor? Thanks!

Packer.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

Too help limit the options

Will the original slide be used, or will a new slide be part of the conversion?

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

JFB said:
Too help limit the options

Will the original slide be used, or will a new slide be part of the conversion?
Yes! the original slide will be used. The original magazine and possibly the barrel will NOT be used.

Essentially, we are building a conversion kit. A new blued P3AT slide from KT parts costs $70.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Packer: Have you asked if they will sell you a blank barrel? Maybe not but could be worth asking? Heck, it should be cheaper. ???

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Well, RC has already IDed a possible mag. 8)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

TxCajun said:
Packer:  Have you asked if they will sell you a blank barrel?  Maybe not but could be worth asking?  Heck, it should be cheaper.   ???
No, Tex, I haven't. That would be ideal, although I don't know who I would get to chamber and rifle it.

Packer.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.