Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

While doing some looking for Sub-2000 and CP33 parts for some guns I just got, I stumbled upon some nicely machined parts, and some nicely printed parts, but done on more consumer grade equipment.

My company operates some industrial additive manufacturing equipment and I think I could cater to the Kel-Tec line well.

Much research to be done, but what are some of the most popular or commonly requested solutions in the community?

Look forward to helping out!

Tyler

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello All,

While doing some looking for Sub-2000 and CP33 parts for some guns I just got, I stumbled upon some nicely machined parts, and some nicely printed parts, but done on more consumer grade equipment.

My company operates some industrial additive manufacturing equipment and I think I could cater to the Kel-Tec line well.

Much research to be done, but what are some of the most popular or commonly requested solutions in the community?

Look forward to helping out!

Tyler
A vertical mount for the KS-7. Either a m-lok or picatinny.

·
Registered
671 Posts
33 round mags for the CP33 for less than $50 would be nice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I second a foregrip for the KS7 with a provision for a vertical grip. Possibly printed plastic with a steel or aluminum insert for strength.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A KS7 foregrip is definitely in our wheelhouse. I'm curious what a livable cost would be. This vertical grip is an example of our printing...strong and very nice. It's a far cry from bedroom printing, but the price reflects that as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that AICS extension is another example. Built in detent...all printed in one piece, no hardware.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A KS7 foregrip is definitely in our wheelhouse. I'm curious what a livable cost would be. This vertical grip is an example of our printing...strong and very nice. It's a far cry from bedroom printing, but the price reflects that as well.
I can only speak for myself, but for me function and quality justify cost once those things are known quantities… it really depends on what you make.

Edit: for instance, a full replacement foregrip unit with say three reinforced m-lock sots so users can decide where they want to mount the VFG, that maintains functional reliability and is not significantly larger or heavier than stock, and is cleanly finished and good looking as well (including accurate color match for green/tan) - I might be willing to spend as much as $100.

Get close to that at a lower price point and I’d guess it’s an upgrade many KS7 owners would seriously consider.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but for me function and quality justify cost once those things are known quantities… it really depends on what you make.

Edit: for instance, a full replacement foregrip unit with say three reinforced m-lock sots so users can decide where they want to mount the VFG, that maintains functional reliability and is not significantly larger or heavier than stock, and is cleanly finished and good looking as well (including accurate color match for green/tan) - I might be willing to spend as much as $100.

Get close to that at a lower price point and I’d guess it’s an upgrade many KS7 owners would seriously consider.
That is a fair statement. Something that retrofits on the existing forearm around $50.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is a fair statement. Something that retrofits on the existing forearm around $50.
Yes indeed, with a caveat (again, speaking for myself): something that for instance attaches by clamping around the existing foregrip, adding bulk and weight, would be far less interesting than a replacement for me, unless it’s particularly streamlined and at a very compelling price point.

An alternative exception to that might be a very well fitted minimal frame that attaches in the existing m-lock slots on the sides of the foregrip and drops below to provide a single lower slot, for perhaps $25 or $30, and could be compelling as well if it proves sturdy enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes indeed, with a caveat (again, speaking for myself): something that for instance attaches by clamping around the existing foregrip, adding bulk and weight, would be far less interesting than a replacement for me, unless it’s particularly streamlined and at a very compelling price point.

An alternative exception to that might be a very well fitted minimal frame that attaches in the existing m-lock slots on the sides of the foregrip and drops below to provide a single lower slot, for perhaps $25 or $30, and could be compelling as well if it proves sturdy enough.
I don't foresee something being rock solid when either bolting onto the existing forend, or coming well down via existing slots....but I'm just basing that on looking at pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
P-11 frame with a rail for a light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your parts look really good Tyler. I'm into 3d printing myself, on a bit higher end consumer unit. Totally offended by the bedroom comment (just kidding), but you have me dead to rights as my setup is in a converted bedroom. Haha.

I love the hobby and it's amazing what the machine can do for you and a lot of times, imagination is the only road block. I know a lot of people get them to print off little trinkets and useless figurines and while I've printed a few of those myself, I've focused on practical, usable items. That said, no matter how many upgraded parts I throw at my printer or how much I tune it, it's not going to spit out parts that look even close to good as yours. I think mine spits out damn good quality for consumer grade, but the fact is, it has limits.

I kind of skimmed over your post at first, not paying attention to the quality difference. With the designing and testing aspect, I don't want to tell you what your pricing should be, as that's so hard to predict before you have a part ready to be churned out. I'm highly interested in what you could bring to the table and I will give some hard, 0honest thought to what is missing in the aftermarket, that could coincide with your field. I own a pretty large part of Keltec's weapon catalog and would be happy to help with needed measurements or testing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have my FFL so if anyone is interested in some free parts, I typically offer one along with return shipping in exchange for getting to prototype with your firearm.

The KS7 forend is definitely doable, and we print OEM forends for other companies in the industry with MLOK slots, so I think durability will be just fine in that regard!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You know a carry handle with a flashlight in the dead space under the front sight. O-light makes a small LED that will fit. A member did one. Just needs a pressure switch. I'm buying a carry handle from a member to work with. I'm thinking to use the m-loks to hold in place.

Yjmebs did the flashlight.

And a shotgun card (with Velcro) for the side m-lok panels on the forearm, the forearm grooves need to match to channels to keep it from rotating on the forearm. This would be a cheap do. Priced reasonably would sell well as the cards are popular. They can be cheaply produced with 3d printer.

I'll take a card right now. Sold without the hardware I'd price them at $12 not something stupid high like we see now due to COVID-19....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, gotcha. That will be easy once we get a gun to scan.

No worries on PLA or ABS...the materials we use are in excess of those properties!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Putting the shell cards on the slots on the foregrip might not hold up well given how aggressively these shotguns usually need to be racked to be reliable.

It might be ok and obviously needs testing, but I foresee many shells leaving the carrier during cycling, or the whole card letting go of the Velcro altogether.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts