problems with my new SU22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by mak0, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mak0

mak0 New Member

May 8, 2008
    I took my new SU22 to the range last night and was getting quite a few failure to feeds (about 1 or 2 per mag) with CCI mini mags. I did pretty much take the gun out of the box and shoot it without cleaning it first so that might be the problem but I inspected the bolt and inside receiver and it appeared pretty clean before hand.

Afterwards I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning and I think the action feels a bit smoother now that I cleaned and lubed it. I also found about 500rds of American Eagle ammo I had from a long time ago I'm going to try next time as well to see if maybe it simply didn't like the mini mags.

2. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Make sure that the CCI minimags you have do not have gobs of wax on the bullets. I have gotten a few boxes with quite a lot of wax on the bullets and it actually caused feeding problems. I had to wipe them all with a paper towel and then they fed good.

3. mak0

mak0 New Member

May 8, 2008
    Update: I took it to the range again today and it ran better with the American Eagle ammo, but still is not perfect. I shot about 300 rounds through it and was still getting the occasional failure to feed. It was a definite improvement over the mini mags but still not as good as I had hoped for.

I'm going to try some other ammo and if it still doesn't run as reliably as I'd like I'll probably send it to Kel-Tec and have them take a look at it.

4. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    try some federal. The bulk-box from wal-mart feeds very well.

If you do send it in, the feedramp cut in the barrel will likelly be increased, to aid in feeding.

5. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I've run over 1300 rounds through mine at this point - ALL brands have fed flawlessly through both the original magazine and the one obtained from Black Dog. The weapon has always been meticulously clean each time it went to the range - perhaps that could make a minor difference from your experience

6. matyoka

matyoka New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Got my SU-22 today and I had 90% (9 out of 10)misfeeding sofar... tried Remington Golden and Lapua subsonic ammo. The Subsonic does not cycle at all. Removed the silencer to see if that was the problem, but same results. Will try some of the Wallmart Federal and see how it handles.  

7. mak0

mak0 New Member

May 8, 2008
    The ammo was the problem in my case. Mine runs great with Federal value pack from Walmart.