Problem with the "Search" utility.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by jfl, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    This morning, I tried to do a search on "sight paint"; after 15-20 minutes, I got an "Internal Sever Error message"; tried again, got the same message.
    Stupidity id doing the same thing over and over and expect different results :).

I changed the search criteria, going from "all posts" to "year", and after 10 minutes I got the list I was looking for.

Am I missing something, or doing anything wrong ?

2. Southeast_Offroad

Southeast_Offroad New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Surely you didnt wait 15 minutes on a search?

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The yabb search utility is not good at looking at large amounts of data.  Restrict your search to one or two forums if you are going back very far in time.

A better option for some searches is to use google to search the site:

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=136861

So for your search, go to google and enter:  sight paint site:ktog.org

4. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Our Search Feature Sux!

Searches are slow and often unproductive on our site.
    Could we use Microsoft "Bing" or "Google" as our internal search engine as some other sites do?

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Re: Our Search Feature Sux!

Or just click on advanced search on Google and scroll down to ;
    Search within a site or domain;(listed under Need more tools?) and enter KTOG.org

6. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Works like a charm.

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=site:ktog.org+%22watch+me+screw+this+up%22&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8[/ame]

8. KYKevin

KYKevin New Member

Mar 9, 2010

I was using the search feature here alot when I was trying to find info for the fake cans. Had very little prob using it. I like. I think only once it was slow. Prob due to lag on my end. Nothing but positive kudos from my end. any time a search engine is slow it is prob due to internet lag.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

If you set the parameters correctly, the site search works pretty well.  Now trying to search all forums going back forever may time out, but I generally don't have problems doing a properly constructed search here.  As was said, you can always use google.

10. TheTomcat

TheTomcat New Member

Mar 25, 2010

Glad I found this I was having problems searching too.

11. Kevets

Kevets New Member

Oct 31, 2009

Using the Google search also results in 'more relevant' results and not just word-for-word matches.

12. Kevets

Kevets New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Perl isn't a good engine for large amounts of data. Sites of this size should be run on mySQL and PHP.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    [smiley=smiley_down.gif] Duplicate thread spliced here. [smiley=smiley_down.gif]

14. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003

I just did a "all posts since the dawn of time, in all forums" search and it took several
    seconds. Slow, certainly, but still quite usable.

At one point I had embedded a Google search box. Google sure does do search well.
    If you want to take the 5-10 minutes to go sign up for another key from Google I'll embed
    it again. As for Bing, see the definition of the word "Bing":
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bing
    :D

True, this board is slow because it uses flat files instead of SQL or some other proper database
    like MySQL. One day I'll get time to switch to another system and import all of the users, posts, etc.
    As for the Perl comment, Perl is normally faster than PHP, mainly because PHP is so "easy" that
    most PHP is written by people with zero training in programming and computer science, but
    also because PHP lacks certain basic language features like the ability to declare variables.
    Anyway, that's way off topic, but since you brought it up ... ;)