....? Problem with Service Dept

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by John_E_Davies, May 19, 2008.

1. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    I sent an email asking for 4 frame pins and 3 button head screws, offering to pay, and Bill replied: "We do not supply parts as spares. We only supply replacements for damaged ones."  :eek: This is insane! Is this Kel-Tec policy?

I need a pair of replacement pins to replace the damaged ones on my P-3AT 2nd Gen, and I need a BH screw so I can replace the one I will surely mess up getting out, and I want some spares for the tool kit. What is wrong with that? Has anyone encountered this idiot attitude before? Do they not want us to open up these guns, or what?

My impression from reading past posts was that KT Service went out of their way to help... was I misinformed?

John Davies
    Spokane WA

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: WTF? Problem with Service Dept

Hi John, and welcome.  

You are lucky you got an email reply at all, KT is only recently doing better at emails but still they sell and work on guns well and don't do computers that well.  SERVICE supplies parts to replace defective/broke ones for free, but not always for spares.  PARTS sells parts.  

Pick up the phone, call and ask for PARTS SALES and they will sell you whatever you want just have your list totally together as they charge one shipping fee no matter how much (or how little) you buy and it is in the $7.00 range.

And please be a little careful about coming into our virtual "sandbox" and calling momma (or those there) idiots.  Not too many people here will take kindly to that and some might just suggest that the only "idiot attitude" here is an expectation of them to supply your parts box with "just in case parts" out of the service inventory.  

-Scott

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re:problem with Service Dept

+1, plus
    Tel: 321-631-0068
    M-F 8am-4pm EST
    Toll free 1-800-515-9983

4. Hey John...  glad you found us....

Take the good advise offered above.  Both JFB and adamsesq kept me alive so to speak with my first 3AT.  With out those two and a few others on this board, I would have thrown my  3AT in the trash and never looked back.

I probably have not done this in a while, so while we are all on the same thread.... THANKS Joe and Scott.... for all your help in the last year plus a bit!

5. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I called Kel-Tec today...I needed a magazine follower for my new pf-9...they took my address and said they would get it right out to me...just before we hung up, I asked for 1 or 2 extras and the guy told me the exact same thing. I don't blame them - if I was in their shoes, I would probably say the same thing...also, I felt funny asking for "1 or 2 extras just in case" anyway, but I realize that with each person, YMMV.

6. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    OK, you guys straightened me out... I didn't even realize that there was a _separate_ parts department. Is that KT only, or do all gun manufacturers do this? Aren't Service and Parts inextricably combined?

All Bill had to do was tell me to "Call Parts". I guess the fact that he answered at all is a good thing.

BTW, Bill said "WE don't sell spares" not "the Service Dept doesn't sell spares". So how was I to know the difference? It was a pretty bald statement.... and a pretty poor reply IMHO.

John Davies
    Spokane WA

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    But if you sent an e-mail to service@kel-tec-cnc.com ... of course you'd get the service department! ;) If you used the form on the website ... well, I don't know what address that gets sent to.

There is no parts@ address that I know of.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If I want to buy factory accessories or a water pump for my van I go to the dealer and go to the "parts" counter, not the "service" counter.  Why would KT be any different?

But yes, Bill can sometimes be a little short in the tact/helpful department. He is extremely knowledgable and usually very helpful but sometimes he is just a little bit short and could offer a bit more information.

-Scott