Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new P11 today. I bought it from an out of state supplier.

As with any new gun I buy, I stripped it for cleaning and light oiling. On my attempt to reassemble, the barrel will not slide far enough forward for me to insert the pin.

Anyone else have that problem and if so, what is the solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It takes a little practice to get it to slide far enough forward. Mine does that too. Just have to wiggle it & keep trying.

Sometimes, I'll grab it closer to the muzzle end & pull, usually works.

·
Registered
322 Posts
my old one does the same. push on the barrel from the inside, it will come out a lil more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It will loosen up as it breaks in. Mine was tight like that when new. Push on the barrel from the chamber end with your finger or thumb to get it lined up.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Mine must have been in newer condition than I thought when I bought it, apparently. When I first got mine, I had the same problem. Had to reach in through the ejection port and push the barrel forward until it kinda "clicked" ahead a bit and was somewhat loose again, whereupon it was far enough forward for me to line the pin up and get it into place. Seems there's some kind of a little "pinch point" in the frame or something there, maybe having to do with the barrel-tilt action, that causes it to sort of hang up a little there. Whatever the case, it's pretty normal.

One thing I've been in the practice of doing when re-assembling my P11 is, once I have the slide back on the frame and locked back, I swing the muzzle down with a snapping motion of my wrist and the inertia slings the barrel forward in the slide, usually right past that little pinch point of friction so that I can insert the pin.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that you DO NOT mistakenly insert the pin BEHIND the barrel lug, or AHEAD of the hole for the assembly pin. Look through the assembly pin hole while moving the barrel back and forth to see where it sits before inserting the pin. Putting it in behind the barrel and then releasing the slide causes things to bind up tight, and it can be a real bugger to un-stick it - trust me, I've done it a couple of times, myself. :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
What works for me is as I assemble the slide to the frame, I push down on the barrel hood, and hold it down as I push the slide back far enough to engage the slide lock. This causes the barrel to tilt downward at the correct angle instead of being jammed into the frame. It's the same procedure that is used on the PF9 and for me it works every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got it back together.

Thanks to all who offered help.

I have several other autos and this one was as annot\ying as my Ruger Mark 11.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have tried pulling on the barrel and it usually pulls it in place. Pushing the barrel from the chamber works best.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Stick your index finger through the ejection port and push the barrel forward. That's what I do and it works every time.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Strangely, I've been finding that this trick doesn't work on my PF9. They seem so extremely close in design that you'd think they would disassemble/assemble exactly the same, but with the PF9, I have to do this awkward means of pushing down upon the top of the barrel hood while retracting the slide the first 1/4" or so and then the barrel tilts down and fits into place exactly so that the pin pokes right in there without any need for manual alignment at all. It even describes this weird detail in the owner's manual, which makes me wonder if it says something similar in the P11 manual and maybe there's something wrong with either my P11 or my PF9 to explain the difference between the two...? :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Nope, my P11 and PF9 both do what yours do...ya need to do different tricks to them to get them back together. Nature of the beast. Nothing wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm under the impression that the molding from the factory is super tight on clearancing? Does this go away over time, or does it stay tight?

·
Registered
32 Posts
that's just the way it works. you get used to it.

there's actually a thread up right now about the same thing. very easy to do.

just reassemble it as normal, and before you reinsert the takedown pin, while the barrel is still sliding around loose in there, "sling" the whole thing forward while gripping the handle, so that the barrel is forced outwards by inertia. then make whatever minor adjustment is needed to get the takedown pin back in.

if you are having problems with that, just push it through by means of something stuck through the ejection port, as posted above.

if i keep seeing threads on this i might make a youtube video about it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nope, my P11 and PF9 both do what yours do...ya need to do different tricks to them to get them back together. Nature of the beast. Nothing wrong with either of them.
+1 - Yup. They can be just some finicky that's all. You'll get used to the idiosyncrasies. Just keep playing with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts