problem solved

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jcp, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Some may recall the extraction issue I had with my new 3AT a month or so ago. It is now functioning great with the new upper assembly. Unfortunately the pics I took of the slide with the problem didn't turn out very good, and I returned the unit to KT as promised.
    I have only made 1 trip to the range since the fix. I shot about 150 rounds, 18 Golden Sabers ;), the rest REM UMC. I had 1 failure to extract somewhere in the middle of the session, but I would certainly say it is performing up to expectations now. I was mostly just shooting to prove reliability, but I found out I am going to need some practice to hit what I am aiming at. I hate to admit this, but I am not keeping them all on a "paper plate" at 7yds. The next time I go I will be able to work on that, as reliability is no longer an issue.
    I did find a "burr / bulge" around the guide rod hole when I did a good strip and clean after the range. I'm not sure if it is early peening signs, or just normal wear. I would say it looks like more of a "burr" than a bulge. It is only on the edge of the hole, and seems to be limited to the top half of the hole. I would love to invest in the washers, but since I haven't been able to figure out why I can't post from home it may take me awhile to make it to trading post status.
    I guess my next step will be to figure out how to comfortably, and safely carry. I got the 3AT leaning towards pocket carry as the easiest way to get started? I have seen some of the holster threads and think I'm going to look into the Grandfather Oak, Pocket Pal, and the Nemisis to try to narrow it down for myself. Actually for $20ish I should probably just order any one of them and go from there. Off to the holster websites. :)

2. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Glad to hear that everything is doing fine after getting your stuff back from KT...

John

3. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have the Nemesis, and love it. Fits great in my pockets, and looks like a wallet footprint. Very comfortable...even in tight jeans. The material on the exterior helps the pocket grip the holster so that it stays put when you draw, even in my loosest pockets.

4. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    So, did KT send you a new slide or did you have to return the whole pistol to them?  

I'm having the same FTE problem that you had.  KT has already me a new extractor but it didn't help.

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Glad to hear everything got worked out. What was the problem after all?

6. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I'd like to quote each person's question or statement as I respond, but I'm not a very skilled poster. So I'll just have to do it another way.

torrent- The root cause of the problem was the extractor spring pocket. The springs did not fit down in there correctly, so the spring wasn't able to apply pressue to the extractor. I guess an easy way to explain it is: with a case chambered there was enough room for the extractor to come out past the lip of the case without hitting the spring. The extractor was just kind of flopping in air because the spring was stuck out of the pocket against the slide. Hopefully you can picture what I'm saying, it was easy to see in person, but not so easy for me to explain.

steve24- The explaination above will give you a good idea of what to look for if your problem is the same as mine. I took mine up to the shop to look at it side by side with another one after I determined what I thought the problem was, and when compared with a good unit we could all see that my spring wasn't and couldn't seat properly. Keep in mind mine basically didn't extract any spent cases. It wasn't occasional failures.
    I sent it back to the factory about 3 days after I got it. It was there about 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately all the tech did was replace the extractor spring, which basically did nothing to fix the problem. It did confirm for me that it had to be the spring pocket that was out of tolerance not the springs. So as soon as I got it back I could see I was going to have the same problem. I went to the range and confirmed it. I called KT the next day, and got to speak to someone in service. They were very nice. They seemed to understand the problem as I was describing it, and could tell I was looking right at the problem and knew what was going on. They were apologetic that I had just waited so long, and that the problem had been missed. They then agreed to go ahead, and send me a new upper unit, along with a return envelope for the old one. They did say it is not normal procedure for them to do so, but given the circumstances it was appropriate.
    I don't know if this is your first KT or not, and I can certainly understand if you're frustrated. I certainly was. However I must say I am very happy now. With my new "good" unit I only had the 1 FTE in my first 150ish rounds. So the potential for reliability is definately there. Good luck.

tommyray- Thanks for the holster input. I didn't end up ordering one yesterday. I hate just ordering stuff off the enet without being able to check it out. Especially stuff I have no experience with, like pocket holsters. I found out Cabela's stocks the Nemisas apparently. I'm going to stop by there today and check them out.
    I did run across the Ron Graham holsters on the net yesterday. Those babies look pretty nice. Unfortunately it looks like they're over a year delivery, and I don't know if I could ever decide which one I wanted without actually seeing them in person.

Josh

7. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks for the info Josh.

8. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    4-6 weeks is the normal turn around ?[td][/td]

9. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Yes I beleive 4-6 weeks is pretty typical. The email they sent when they received it said to allow 30 days for service. With processing and shipping it took just a little longer than that.

10. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    thanks , guess i'll stop waiting for my little broken kel-tec it to come back any time soon  :(