Problem:  Hammer following

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Flipster, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Flipster

Flipster New Member

May 31, 2005
    Thought I'd post this in an attempt to see if anyone here has a solution, other than sending it back.

I have a brand new P3AT (2nd gen). Has exactly 201 rounds of standard velocity factory ammo (ball and JHP) fired through it. Feeding has been great, but...

After the first six mags, it began to have problems where the hammer would follow the slide forward every once in a while. I field stripped it, cleaned and lubricated it twice in the process of continuing to fire the next 175 rounds.

Towards the end, with the last 5-6 mags, it would follow after every shot. Chamber a round, fire it and the hammer follows. Cycle the action, the hammer would reset and the pistol fires as it should.

In fact, you don't even have to fully cycle the action, just pull it slightly to the rear and the hammer would reset.

In looking inside, nothing is appears out of place. With the pistol taken apart, and by putting slight forward pressure on the hammer, it does NOT push off.

Each time as the problem occurred, I checked. The slide was fully forward in battery. As I continued to fire the pistol, I made sure that no part of my firing hand or support hand was dragging on the slide. I made sure I was letting the trigger going fully forward after each shot. Another guy shot it and had the same problem.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance...

2. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Re: Problem:  Hammer following

The hammer isn't supposed to stay cocked like a single action pistol (1911). Are you saying that the pistol will not fire the next round without slightly pulling the slide to the rear?

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

are you sure you are letting the trigger FULLY reset (2 clicks) after each shot? That would cause what you are describing.

:-/

4. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

Aug 22, 2007

Your problem sounds familiar. I just got my pistol back from the factory last week.

Mine would fire the chambered round, eject the casing and load the next round. But the trigger would not be reset to fire the new round. A slight pull on the slide would reset the trigger and the same thing would happen again.

KelTec replaced the slide. From comments made by others, I think the problem was in the machining of the original slide. There is a "hump" inside the slide on the ejection port side that strikes the trigger bar, pushing it down and resetting the trigger. Somehow, in the aggressive movement of the slide in the firing process allows the slide to "miss" the trigger bar. A more gentle manual movement pushes the trigger bar and the little gun can fire again.

My new slide is a lot tighter fit to the frame than the original was.

If you send the pistol to the factory, be patient. Mine was there 7 weeks waiting for its turn for repair.
    It works now.

5. Flipster

Flipster New Member

May 31, 2005

Virtual-rjhauser.

Yup, absolutely sure that the trigger was allowed to go fully forward (both clicks of reset).  In fact, I tried it while completely slapping the trigger, that is, completely letting go after each shot to the point of taking the finger all the way off the trigger and outside the trigger guard.

SoonerPast,

I'm clear that the hammer isn't supposed to be fully cocked, like the 1911.  After firing, the fired case is ejected, the slide goes fully forward back into battery and the hammer follows.  Pulling the trigger gets nothing.  The ONLY way it can be fired is for the slide to be retracted, at least slightly, or with a typical immediate action drill of tap-rack.

Sounds like mine needs to go back like yours did.

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    I think this is the firing sequence of the P3-AT:

1.  Trigger bar cocks hammer as user presses trigger.
    2.  Trigger bar releases hammer block.
    3.  Hammer falls and strikes firing pin, firing chambered round.
    4.  Slide begins to retract and pushes trigger bar down away from hammer block.
    5.  Hammer block resets.
    6.  Hammer follows slide forward until it is intercepted by the now reset hammer     block.
    7.  User releases trigger.
    8.  Trigger bar resets to engage cocking notch on hammer.
    9.  Sequence repeats at user's discretion.

PshootR

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

it is possible to see the trigger bar cam between the slide and grip. You could scribe a line accros the cam when it is fully up, then when you have a dead trigger, look and see if the cam might still be down.

the hammer position for dropped and normal reset is diffent. when fully dropped, there is nothing visiable in the slide/grip notch

8. Re: Problem:  Hammer following

??? I will watch this thread wiht interest. I have never heard of this when the shooter was not short stroking, and it certainly seems to me that that is not the problem with flipster.

9. Flipster

Flipster New Member

May 31, 2005

Ok, got it back. Paperwork states they changed the grip and polished the barrel.

So far, with 68 rds of FMJ thru it, it has been 100%.

10. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

Aug 22, 2007

Congrats, you got it back quickly.