Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used my RFB in a 3-gun match yesterday without issues but only because I made up my own procedure. As I was driving to the match I wondered what i would do at the end of a stage when I had a live round in the chamber and I had to clear the weapon and make it safe. Normally I would drop the mag and pull the charging handle back like all other weapons and let the live round eject. But with the RFB the live round would have to be lifted on the carrier to exit the chute. I didn't know if there was clearance for a live round or just an empty to enter the chute so I would just drop the mag and fire the last round down range. It added a micro second to my times but at least it was safe.

Has anyone cleared their RFB of a live round by just pulling the charging handle? I should have thought about it "before" the match.

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
The RFB is designed so that any 308/7.62X51 round short enough to fit the magazine will enter the ejection chute. Just remove the mag, pull the charging handle back and release.

It is a good idea to have something soft to catch the live round coming out of the chute -- shooting mat, case padding, backpack, or just catch it with your non-shooting hand. I personally have no problem placing my non-shooting hand index finger over the end of the ejection chute to catch the round.

If the rifle is horizontal or slightly tilted up, a live round may not exit the chute. Just tilt the rifle down and catch the live round.

You will then need to manually lock the bolt back, which can be awkward and takes a bit of time, but improves with practice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RFB is designed so that any 308/7.62X51 round short enough to fit the magazine will enter the ejection chute. Just remove the mag, pull the charging handle back and release.

It is a good idea to have something soft to catch the live round coming out of the chute -- shooting mat, case padding, backpack, or just catch it with your non-shooting hand. I personally have no problem placing my non-shooting hand index finger over the end of the ejection chute to catch the round.

If the rifle is horizontal or slightly tilted up, a live round may not exit the chute. Just tilt the rifle down and catch the live round.

You will then need to manually lock the bolt back, which can be awkward and takes a bit of time, but improves with practice.
Thanks, I knew someone would have the answer. I thought that would be the case but I did not have time to check out my suspicions "before" the match. Now I can shave a little time off my runs knowing that I can safely eject a live round by pulling the charging handle. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yep. Live round will cycle right thru. Locking the bolt carrier back is the harder part. Another reason I like a 2 point sling. With it laying across my chest I can shift my shooting hand back to trip the bolt catch and hold the butt against my shoulder while I reach my off hand across the top to pull the charging handle back to lock...

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
Agree will ronmar on the 2 point sling. It does help to free up your non-shooting hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.