Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

prism scope for rdb

12K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  odinforever2000 
#1 ·
So the top rail on the rdb is very far forward and I've been having trouble finding a fixed powered 5-7 optic with enough eye relief to keep from having to do the tactical turtle.

Anyone else have any luck finding a 5-7 power optic with a ton of eye relief?

#7 ·
What is "a ton" to the OP? I use a Vortex micro magnifier that has 2.64'' eye relief at 3x and I don't have to do tactical turtle.
Many of the Vortex LPVO has around 3 inches eye relief which I think is a good fit for RDB.
If you have to use a fixed magnification prism scope, maybe a D-EVO? It has over 3 inches of eye relief and gives you 6x fixed magnification and you can add a red dot if you want to.

#8 ·
Have you actually tried a scope or are you only thinking that it won't work? I can't see any scope having a problem with eye relief on that rail. But I'd be willing to bet that once you have what you want in hand a mounting solution can be found unless you have some sort of strange anatomical peculiarities. If it was a problem this wouldn't be the first time we've seen the problem. It would be universally posted and a hot topic, also a required redesign of the rifle would be in the works so that it could be used.

I don't creep up on the rifle and I have no problems. I can mount my red dot anywhere on the rail, but I have it just far enough forward for required scopelike eye relief.

Tell you what I'll do for you. You buy what you want for a scope and if it can't be mounted in the right place I'll let you send it to me for proper disposal. I know what you're thinking, "That BJK is one heck of a guy.". Yup, that's me, I'm all about people. 😆

But seriously, unless you've tried it I really don't think you'll find it to be a problem or we'd have heard about it.

#11 ·
My prism scope is a 1X, so not quite the same, but I had the same concern in general, with the short rail and ****ty eyes.
But the PA Cyclops gives me almost 4" of eye, letting me put it a lot father forward than I expected. (a nice surprise, since I've been thinking about adding a flip- magnifier, and I am pretty sure I'll have the space) Iirc, most of their prisms have a generous eye box?

#12 ·
I doubt its possible. The power, objective lens and eye relief delta is such that an increase of two will take from one. In the case of power, anything over 3X, eye relief pulls back to 2" or less. Unless you have a massive objective or its very long. If you find that, you'll be spending $$$ like the ELCAN.
Your best compromise is a 3x.

#19 ·
If your using a scope you can do that no problem.
Prism scope different. I went out to range and yes you have to get up on the scope to get good eye box. My ar15 is easier as I ca shorten the buttstock.
Really when standing freehand it doesnt seem to be as prominent as it does when you are bench shooting.

Minor adjustment I just like a good set it and forget style. Prisms do that for me.

#21 ·
If your using a scope you can do that no problem.
Prism scope different. I went out to range and yes you have to get up on the scope to get good eye box. My ar15 is easier as I ca shorten the buttstock.
Really when standing freehand it doesnt seem to be as prominent as it does when you are bench shooting.

Minor adjustment I just like a good set it and forget style. Prisms do that for me.
I don't doubt what you're saying because I don't have any prism scopes. But I don't understand it either... position is position. Happy to understand where I am looking at wrong :)

#22 ·
With a scope it is easier to use cantilever mount. It will bring scope further back. A prisim doesn't use rings to mount. The prism is mounted directly to rails.
All one has to do on the RDB when bench shooting is adjust your head neck position further forward. I think it is exaggerated via the fixed position of the rest etcetera. I really cant explain it properly. When one stands free hand the slight movement forward doesnt seem to be that much.
Now if there was a rail extension it would solve this issue. Or if the RDB stock was about 1/2 inch shorter.

All that being said if this adjustment is displeasing to the user that can just use good 1 x 6 scope with cantilever mount.

I am sure this did nothing to clear things up. I prefer the prism for it robust and simplicity. The minor adjustment to head neck position is something I am willing to get used too.

#24 · (Edited)
I run Prism scopes on the RFB and RDB..

The RFB has an extended Top rail..My Burris AR332 uses the same quick detach mount that can but used on Acogs.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Air gun

No word on if they will make one from Keltec (Chad is aware but..you know..Covid..)

Until I get an extended rail for the RDB..Ima try this out.

Keltec really needs to make their bullpups with at least a 12" top rail or at least start them right at the what would be above the magwell..

#25 · (Edited)
Nice idea! Great find. Found this one deom yankee hill. It seems to have better reveiws.

#26 ·
Nice idea! Great find. Found this one from yankee hill. It seems to have better reveiws.

Both are 4 stars..Ill have mine on an RDB tomorrow.

#34 ·

My RDB-C has been changed quite a bit from its stock configuration. The rifle has an RDB barrel, an RDB-S hand guard and parts from Dan Haga designed. It also has a flush QD sling cup, a SilencerCo ASR flash hider, a Magpul RLS sling and a Steiner M332 combat optic.

The clamping surface on the M332 is on the front portion of the mount. Using just the clamping surface moves the optic back and negates the eye relief on the scope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.