Pricing Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DaveT, Sep 29, 2007.

1. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Howdy folks.

I realize that this is not the buy, sell or trade forum, but I have not completly decided to sell yet, and at this point I am just looking for information. Since y'all know a lot more about the Kel-Tec's than I do, I thought I would post here and ask.....

I have a brand new in the box Kel Tec P3AT that I may want to sell in order to fund another gun purchase. This was purchased and put into the gun safe, it has never been fired. It is the 3rd generation hard chrome model and I have added the pocket clip to it. Everything that came in the box is intact.

Also included in the deal would be the following:

* Factory mag, plus one extra. Both magazines have 'pinkie' extensions installed.
    * 2 boxes of ammo:
    50 rounds of Remington 88 grain JHP
    50 round box of Fiocchi 90 grain FMJHP
    * Blued pocket clip installed
    * DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster
    * DeSantis zippered Belt holster that looks like an I-Pod case, holds P3AT and extra magazine, wide still belt clip

The serial number (minus last number) is: J243X

When I received this P3AT, I did dissamble and clean it, but no 'fluff and buff' has been done, or anything else.

What I need to know is what a fair asking price would be ?

I'm not out to get rich, and if the other gun deal goes through, I would want to sell this fast in order to have the funds available for it. So that means I would set a reasonable price to help both deals go through faster.

In advance, I appreciate your help.

2. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    What State are you in? If your jurisdiction allows face-2-face transactions then its worth more as a total package to someone local, especially if State sales tax can be avoided on a non-retail sale.

3. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    I'm in Texas, about 3.5 hours west of the DFW area.

Just found out that the other gun I'm trying to deal on is available.

So...... ?????

4. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I paid $289 for my hard chrome model a couple of weeks ago. Extra mag was $17 and pinky extensions are about $6/ea. You should be able to get out of it what you paid for it. Especially if hard chrome are as hard to come by in you area as they are in mine.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    On the whole package, the value will vary among buyers.  Some like myself, would have no use for the belt clip or Nemesis and would put little value on them.  Others don't care for the extensions.  $20 worth of ammo is something of a PITA to ship and costs money too.  In Texas, generally, a NIB hard chorme P3AT can be had relatively inexpensively.  I think the last time I checked one at a gunshow, the asking price was $269.  Of course that varies somewhat.  I have seen them for more and less than that.  A FTF sale is best.  In Texas, shipping, FFL fee and taxes are avoided.   Someone who is out of town will have to add $75+ for shipping and FFL fees. 

The approximate NIB cost for what you are selling probably breaks down similar to this.  Of course you can not expect to get NIB prices even though the gun is unfired:

$295 Chrome P3AT (tax included)
    $20  Extra mag
    $12  mag extensions
    $12 belt clip
    $20 Nemesis

$359  Total

On a face-to-face deal, someone who really wanted all of those particular accessories anyway might pay as much as $300, eventually.  A lower price would probably get a quicker sale.  If they have to pay for shipping and FFL transfer, most folks would be better off with a NIB local purchase, unless you are going down closer to $200.  One thing working in your favor is that some folks have trouble finding hard chrome Kel-tecs where they live.  They should move to Texas.  :cool:

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Tx detailed it out pretty good. But I would add that your weapon is worth LESS than it would be (at least to me) if it had 250 perfect rounds through it and no peening. I'd probably pay a max of about $225 if we were face to face.

And, btw, there is not such thing as a 3rd generation...

-Scott

7. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the information.

Guess I'll list it for sale !

Scott, thanks for the update on 'third generation', I might have been thinking about my latest Glock 23 when I used that phrase.

I'll probably ask $250 for everything.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hmmmm - 250 for your 3rd gen glock 23. Can we talk?

Your P3AT is a 2nd gen and i'm sure you will sell it just fine - list it on the trading post and give someone some fun.

-Scott

9. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    LOL Scot..... that's a 'misread' on the Glock 23 !!!! ;D

Wish I could buy them for that and sell them for retail !!!

Again, I do appreciate everyone's help here. :)

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    And just because you mentioned it, I will put out that for no particular other reason than comfort holding the weapon I like a P40 a lot better than a Glock 23...except I don't know anybody that has either of them, yah, that's the ticket...

-Scott

11. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    FYI

Several years ago I bought a POS handgun from a gun shop that I never fired,
    the shop gave me full credit towards another purchase a month later  ;)

Research before purchase lesson learned

12. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Not sure I am following your line of thought here ..........

13. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Not sure I am following your line of thought here ..........  
    [/quote]
    If bought at a GS and it is un-fired, you could ask for full credit towards another purchace.
    Just throwing the idea out there ;)

14. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks Rubb.

I bought it via the 'net from a gun dealer near way up North, and I am in Texas.

But that is an idea..... maybe one of the local shops I frequent might work a trade.

Appreciate the thought !

The other trade I was trying to work earlier today just fell through, so I have time to get this P3AT sold or traded.

15. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    You’re welcome Dave,

Don’t ask because I won’t admit that it was a Jennings 9mm that was know to self destruct around the 500 round count....ooops :-[

16. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Well, I won't be selling this P3AT after all.

Visited with my son while in Abilene for a doctor's appointment in Abilene today. He is in the Abilene Police Academy and we were able to have lunch with him.

When I mentioned I was thinking of selling the P3AT for financing another trade, he asked me not to, said he was already planning on trying to talk me out of the P3AT, just had not gotten around to it yet. It seems that a lot of the APD Officers carry a Kel-Tec as their BUG gun and that's why he wants the P3AT.

Sure can't say no to my own son, especially since it will be his BUG and just might save his life one day.

I do appreciate the responses and information y'all helped out with !

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Dave - thank your son for me next time you see him. And it actually brings a tear to my eye (honest and true) to think he will have Dad's P3AT as his BUG.

-Scott