Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Kel-Tec seems to becoming more picky about being the original owner and sending in a copy of the receipt for warranty work, what do people here consider the magic price point difference between buying new with the warranty or buying used and maybe not having one?

For example, Let's say you could buy a used one for $90 less than a new one. Would that be enough of a savings to take a chance? Also keeping in mind that the used one may being sold because it has some issue that the owner does not want to deal with.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
The last I heard Kel-tec's repair policy for non-first owners was a standard $40 labor charge. If you count that as a deal breaker then I guess you never have a car serviced either. I personally wouldn't pay MSRP for a used gun, but it's the buyer's choice on what they may be willing to spend based on how bad they want it. I have paid top dollar on some things because I wanted them badly enough, and I'll admit I'm an impulse buyer. Others have different priorities and standards.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you buy a used one, try and get the original receipt for the gun - the warranty stays with the original receipt. This will save you a few bucks if it has to go back to the mother ship.

All of my K-T guns were purchased used, except the the PMR-30 I haven't fired yet...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last I heard Kel-tec's repair policy for non-first owners was a standard $40 labor charge.
What about parts? Now if that $40 covers parts too, then I guess that might be the magic number.

I guess I just get skeptical when I see something selling for less than what I think it should be based on the current market. Especially when they say something like "only 25 rounds through it".

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
If you order parts they will cost. If you send it in for repair I believe you just have the service charge. Best to check with Kel-tec on that though. I'm not an employee.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I decided to just pony up and buy a new one for $75 more than the used one. I think I am glad I did as I just put 200 rounds though it without a hiccup. I'll be posting another thread about that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Prices vary greatly depending on where you live in this country. Out West, you will pay around $450 and up where as down South and parts of the East I have seen them for as low as the high $300's. In Vegas, I paid $460 and thought I got a good deal.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Texas and I rarely if ever see any at gun shows or any of the local gun shops. I know I could get one from GB or somewhere, but after shipping and FFL fees ($30-$40 around here), those were not really a bargain. I just decided that I would rather pay the extra $75 knowing nobody had messed with it or was just unloading it because it was a lemon. So for ME, it was worth it. And you don't even want to know how much I paid for my Gen 1 when they first came out. :gaah:

·
Registered
574 Posts
It all boils down to how much you want it and how much you are willing to pay. When those two criteria intersect, screw what anyone else thinks. You got the firearm you wanted. Just enjoy it. I can't tell you how many times I overpaid for a gun because I couldn't find it at any other price and I wanted it NOW! And, I don't regret it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I overpaid for a gun because I couldn't find it at any other price and I wanted it NOW! And, I don't regret it.
+1 Nothing worse than falling in love and waiting for a couple of years only to find out it has been discontinued/outlawed:mad:.
The good news is, the outrageous, nose-bleed price I paid years ago, is now MSRP:eek:
...IF you could find one:rolleyes:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.