Price of new P3at's????

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, May 6, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    ok, here's the deal. I want another used gun. I figure a gently cared for P3at is good stuff.

So I check the Trading post all the time. What's the deal with the prices? Seems anyone that has a blued one wants $250 firm up to $350 if it's got attachments and/or goodies like HC.

If I buy a used Honda, I don't pay what I can get it new at the dealer for. I pay half.
    I can buy new Blued keltecs all day long here for $250. Why would I want to pay $250 used, and then shipping, and a FFL fee?
    Even if I was local which is unlikely, why pay $250 for a used P3at when they only sell for $250 NEW???
    If it's $250 NEW, then shouldn't used be under $200?

Sort of a rant, sort of I really don't understand what the heck these people posting are thinking.
    Are people buying these guns for $300 new for a blued gun and then thinking they are offering a deal for $250? Is that what it is? Or is just some unrealistic sellers? Can't everyone buy new P3at for $250 or do I just live in a cheap area? Kinda confused by these offers.( yes I know I dont have to accept them) just wondering about the prices in other areas. Seems like a no brainer to buy new for the same price.
    Where the hell are the deals? What is wrong with people? I have a lot of questions ;D

2. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Don't have many answers. I see them at the gunshows from $250 to $300 AT THE SAME SHOW. ::) :-/

One way to look at it. They hold their resale value. ;)

3. I will wade in with an opinion. It (the opinion) is worth what you are paying for it!

IF I was in the market for another P3AT, and some one I knew and trusted had a used one that they told me was reliable, and the gun was the color & finish I was wanting, I would pay as much for the used as I would a new one.

From my personal experience, the light weight 380's, no matter what name is stamped on them, are somewhat of a crap shoot.

Out of the box, it may work fine, it may not.

I would rather buy one with a proven record of reliability.

That is my opinion based on OWNING and SHOOTING 3 Kel-Tec 3AT's and 1 Ruger LCP...and...knowing more than a few owners of both, and watching this board.

AND yes.....I have bought new blued KT's for $250 in North La. and one blued LCP for $300.

You may want to send a PM to Wilson and see if he has a line on any $100 guns! ;)

4. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    That's what I mean, I can go to any gunshow and get one for $250. No hassles, no money orders, no finding a transfer agent.
    But these offers of $250 FIRM like it's some great deal for a used gun confuse me.

Sort of like the gift certificates for home depot I see people bid on Ebay for. I have Seen $500 gift certificates sell for $495.
    HUH?
    All that trouble to save $5 bucks???

Well that confirms that others can buy them for $250 too. That's what I thought.

5. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I've been thinking the same thing, gator. If I can get them new for $250, why would I buy someone's used KT which may still be a crap shoot especially from a newbie selling theirs on the TP. $250 + shipping +FFL= too much. Where DOES Wilson find the $100 P3's anyway? :-/

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Buying a known working weapon is one thing.

Another is that in many parts of the country there are no $250 P3ATs to be had. In some areas $300 or more is the only choice available.

Finally, some people say that buying local FTF and avoiding any registration or record of the transaction is worth an extra premium. Obviously that would not come into play if you had to ship it across straight lines and to a ffl, but if you could meet up with some of these people locally some people like that. I don't understand this as I would never ever ever ever ever want to buy a weapon face to face nor would I ever want to buy a weapon without having an official record of when I obtained in just in case it had a bad past ;)

-Scott

7. razz

razz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    You could buy a new P32 for $200 and P3AT for $220 from cdnninvestments.com a couple months ago. I don't know if the price is the same now.

8. NEFOZ

NEFOZ New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    I just called cdnn the other day they are all out of both.
    the guy on the phone sad if he had 1000 guns he could sell them today.
    YMMV
    NEFOZ

9. wildwolf

wildwolf New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I'd love to find a $250.00 P3AT around here. I've been looking all over for oneto be a sidekick to my PF9. went to a fun show with 3 bills in my pocket. 1 table had 2 crappy looking ones with brown frames? 319.00 each. the other table had 1 for 274. and one with a sign advertiseing a p3at as the pf9 "the one everyone wants" for 320. I left empty handed and dissapointed. Gander has them 339. I just can't justify it when and online shop in my state lists them for 236. if they ever have them in stock. I saw one on trading post w extra mag and holster for 250. I would have jumped on it, but the seller was looking for ftf

10. Around here new p-3at runs $250-260 at the better price shops. The expensive shops sell them for $279-289. I have seen a few used in the shops around. Cheapest used price I have seen is $199 and the most is $229.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    When I bought my HC P3AT about 5 weeks back I paid $264.95, blued was selling for $229.95. At one LGS there was a "premium" of - if I remember correctly - $30.00 for an blued with OD grip. Maybe 1 1/2 year ago my first P3AT cost $249.95.

Take care...

12. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Thanks Bill, that's about the prices here in Florida. Maybe a bit higher than $229 for a blue. But we have the blued for $250 just about everywhere.
    Nice price you got on the HC. $265 seems very fair.

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes, very fair. Sticker price on the HC was actually $269.95 but I asked and got $5.00 off for paying cash. Was actually going to buy a blued/OD P3AT (man did I like the looks of that gun) at the LGS where I normally do business but was really turned of by the "premium" being place on the OD grip.

Take care...

14. Rw1golf

Rw1golf New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I paid $ 279.00 for my P3at, the only one around at the time. Shoots just fine not one fault at all . I love this bad boy.

15. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    be glad you can even find P3ATs, new or used. went to 2 or 3 gun shows and didn't see ONE KT PERIOD. started shopping the usual stores. GM was the only one that had any for a while, and everybody knows they've got some of the highest prices. finally found a store who's distributer had 2 of them, i picked up the blued for 289 and grinned the whole way b/c it was not only the first i had found, but the cheapest, too. prices ranged from the 289 to 319 or 329 for blue and HC was 20 to 30 more. obviously, YMMV, but that's around here.

16. jgold

jgold New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I agree with this line of thought. Its hard to pay 250 for one used when you can get a new one for that. But throw in a belt clip and extra mag with a used one and we're dealing at that price.

Also, technically if KT wanted to tighten up they could negate the lifetime warranty on a used one because you are not the original owner. To me that should lower the price significantly.

17. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It all depends on not only location, but how much of an "IN" your dealer has with KT. Or the distributer. Whomever.

For example: I used to live in OH. Not one LGS had a KT. NONE. The biggest gun show in the state was every other month or so... Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife show. (Call a buddy! Bring a friend!) When I finally made the KT plunge after months of reading, I went to buy one. 3 arena sized buildings full of guns and knives. Exactly ONE table had KTs. P-11, blued, $330 plus tax. 32 and 3AT were non-existent. I bought it. When you could find a 3AT in OH they were over $300 blued.

I move to AZ. My LGS always has KT's in stock. It's where I found both PF-9s (including a HC) and where we got our 3ATs. A blued 3AT is $279 plus tax, etc. HC was a tick over $300.

So if someone put up a HC 3AT that was working, and the total for shipping, etc came to $300.....I'd likely buy it. If it was a FTF under $300 you bet I would.....

Honestly, guns are not like cars. Cars wear out. The warranty expires. They can be a lemon. While guns are mechanical, they can be fixed much easier and for less cost than a new one. My 3 Mosin Nagant's are a great example. They aren't as pretty as new, but for a few bucks I can pick up new parts and fix anything not working myself.

Finally, they DO hold great re-sell value. For the same reason above. They still work fine, and people want to recoup as much of what they spent as possible.

18. EchoKilo

EchoKilo New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Some guns are like that. Used 10/22's usually are price higher than what you could buy one new for at Wally World. I rarely ever find good deals on used guns. On top of that I hate not knowing the history of a firearm, so I'd rather just buy one new. If it doesn't work out of the box, Kel-Tec will make it right.