Preventing dust in the hammer cut-out of the slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by nicneufeld, Nov 1, 2007.

1. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Let me see if this makes sense to anyone else.

You know that cutout, on the breech end of the slide, through which you see the hammer? I'm sure there is a better technical term for that part of the gun, but that's as good as I can do.

Well, I've noted that that is one of the first places to attract dust and lint. I thought of one way that I MIGHT be able to reduce that, and I wanted to see what you guys thought. What about a tiny sliver of plain scotch tape? I thought of this today, and I am in public and thus unable to examine the P3AT in detail right now, but does the hammer actually extend out past this slot when firing? I didn't think it did. So what if you just put a small bit of scotch tape over that open slot? It shouldn't be strong enough to cause any issues, as its not really touching any parts in motion during firing, that I can think of. It wouldn't extend down onto the frame. It might blow off during firing of course, but that's irrelevant...the idea being, just a temporary covering to prevent lint or dust building up in there.

Am I crazy? Has this been done before? Would it be helpful or harmful?

Cheers,

Nic

2. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Re: Preventing dust in the hammer cut-out of the s

Over time the glue will probably not be good for the finish, but it should help keep junk out of the gun.

My 3AT has the same issue collecting dust and lint in that cavity. I take a q-tip to it every so often to clean that up, although I doubt it really hurts anything.

3. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007

i just tried your idea. it does have to extend down over the frame too and the trigger does touch it everso little when pulled. i dont have any snap caps so could not pull it all the way back. my guess is that it should still work assuming a small piece of weak tape is used.

4. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006

LAst time I shot my P3 was right out of the pocket in "real World" mode. Caught a face full of lint that got caught in my 5 o'clock shadow. No mirror around so I didn't notice it, after the range I did bout 2 hours of erands around town with a face full of pocket/p3at lint, I vote for tape- from a purely fashon perspective.

5. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

I'm not sure that part of your question is relevant.

But I'd say yes.

;D

6. praetorian

praetorian New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Well as i remeber the hammer does come out of that hole right before it breaks to smack the firing pin. But that said, scotch tape wont stop it from cycling.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Bad guy = dead. Good guy = alive and protected. Seems to me a "face full of lint" is not something that even fits into the equation or even crosses the boundary of my concerns.

If you are worried about how dirty your weapon is - please clean it :D

-Scott

8. raybsc

raybsc New Member Supporter

Oct 9, 2006

I would like to know how this works out.
    I try to clean the lint out somewhat everyday with air from computer keyboard cleaner compressed air cans.
    Works fairly well. After my broken hammer spring event I check it pretty close.

Are you sure you want an honest answer to the "Am I crazy?" question?

I mean addiction to Kel Tecs could be considered a form of crazyness! ;D

9. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007

+1  Quick swipe with a q-tip every few days

10. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

Around the hammer and trigger is where I get heavy lint after awhile. A Q-Tip is the best way to get it out.

11. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

The wife must need better training. Tell her to turn out your pockets when she does the wash. (after you come to and the dizziness is gone, turn your own pockets out and do a couple extra loads to help her out)  :D

12. raybsc

raybsc New Member Supporter

Oct 9, 2006

a BIG +1 burley ;D LMAO

13. Re: Preventing dust in the hammer cut-out of the s

[​IMG]  That was great burley.

I strip, clean, and lube mine carry 3AT at least once a week.  After the lube, I cycle snap caps to check for function, then repack the mag and put one in the pipe.  I have been doing this since I started carrying.  The cleaning schedule plus the way I carry, mine does not have a chance to collect much lint.

But this thread and concern with lint brings to mind a possible serious problem.  

If some one is getting enough lint inside the weapon to be of concern, is there a real possiblity of something more sinister being introduced?

Like the tip of a fountain pen, a paper clip, piece of a key ring, piece of key broken off, etc...

Some small metal object in the way of the trigger works or working down into the hammer spring, or even lodging in the magazine?

I usually carry in a dedicated 5.11 shirt pocket, but some times with the nemisis in front jean pocket, or my Guru back pocket.  But my gun is NEVER in a pocket with other items.

What do you think?

14. hiredgun

hiredgun New Member

Sep 9, 2007

+1 I clean my carry piece weekly. It does pretty much eliminate any concerns about dust (but I have to give credit to my wife who does turn my pockets inside out in the laundry which really helps :)). And ditto, I never put anything other than my carry piece in the pocket where it resides (in a Nemesis). I think these are probably best practices for the reasons discussed above.

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

I just told wifey she had to do my pockets from now on...  I didn't hear anything past "Can I make a suggestion..."  ouch.

HG - are you serious? I have never heard of anyone actually turning out pockets. The things we learn on KTOG!

-Scott

16. hiredgun

hiredgun New Member

Sep 9, 2007

Scott, my wife's OCD is even worse than mine!

HG

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Ya, well, THANKS! :-/ Now you guys have me worrying about the lint in my pockets after a washing. Like I needed something else to be concerned about.

-Scott