Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home a new P3AT, my first Kel-Tec! I'm a long time 1911 guy in .45 ACP and .38 Super. I also have a Browning High Power and a Glock G36.

I have cleaned and lubed this new pistol with Tetra. I lubed it as I do the Glock. Is the "pink stuff" recommended for break-in or just supplied as a handout? The owners manual didn't say anything about it.

The slide will move back about 1/4" easily and the breach begins to drop and the barrell lock up but then the slide becomes harder to pull full open. The hammer cocks fully when the slide is retracted. Is this considered normal and will it ease up after break-in? You certainly couldn't press check this slide to see if the chamber is empty.

This is a SG pistol and it appears that it has the sharper pointed extracter, so I'm not anticipating any problems. Most of the ranges around my area are busy this time of year with rifle shooters sighting in before deer season. So I will be test firing a few rounds in my garage where I have a steel bullet trap that will stop a .45.

I have really enjoyed reading this form for sometime now. And thanks for any input or suggestions that you may have.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Welcome ******,

This is normal and after 450 rounds it has not eased for me.

I also use Tetra, never the pink stuff.
There is also a small gap near the extractor
that you can see brass through, that's my
loaded chamber indicator ;)

Welcome again,

Rob

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Welcome to KTOG, ******! That all sounds normal. You might want to lightly sand the grip with 180 sandpaper to get rid of all the sharp edges, mold flash and seams, etc. Your hand will thank you. Don't be too quick to release the trigger, or the back of your trigger finger will get beat up.

This light gun is NO 1911. No matter how experienced you are, you can limp wrist THIS gun.

Hold on!

Packer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rob for the tip on your brass "sight window". That brings up another question though. Without the slide locking open on last shot, how do you keep from dry firing when empty? Do you always count shots?

TPP, thanks for your tips also. When I first started carrying a compact Glock 36 I got caught limp wristing a couple of times. I think it's more a reflection of the barrel length than weight of the gun. Having said that though, I have never had that problem with either a Detonics Combat Master or Wilson KZ-45 Compact. But both have cone barrels also.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My first trip out I thought I was counting,
after a couple of dry fire clicks you learn quick.
Counting to 7 became a habit the second range trip and beond.You can also put 7 of those little
orange dots on your target, which was my plan
If I kept "clicking" ;D

Have fun, It's a great little piece.

Rob

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Or count to 6 and only retract the slide the 1st time.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
TxCajun said:
Or count to 6 and only retract the slide the 1st time.
Sometimes it pays to be a math teacher. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.