Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sorry if this has been done to death but i did a cursory search and didn't find anything resembling a comprehensive thread on the topic.

i had hornady critical defense 115gr in it for a while, but after seeing some damning photos of failures to expand in common media i switched to federal hydrashok 124gr rounds.

both feed well in my gun.

i've heard good things about cor-bon pow'r ball, and remington golden saber, too. what's in yours?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my P11, Speer Gold Dot 115gr std. pressure in my SW9VE, and Winchester PDX-1 in my Ruger P89. Any of those are pretty decent self-defense loads for most 9mm's, although the PDX-1 is one I would avoid in the P11 because it's a +P load - the P11 can handle it, but the extra recoil and muzzle flash you'll get with it coming out of a subcompact makes it a bit less practical to shoot (both not quite so much of an issue when coming out of a big ol' beast like the P89).

Beyond that, pretty much ANY quality JHP in 115 or 124 grain should do ya' fine in the P11. Some examples would be Winchester SXZ, Remington UMC, Federal Hi-Shock, Fiocchi Extrema, Sellier & Bellot, and even Aguila - all decent JHP's available for pretty reasonable prices in a lot of places, all in boxes of 50. I'd avoid 147 grain loads because the longer OAL sometimes doesn't feed well in the P11, and the shorter barrel length often means the already slower 147's don't get enough velocity to reliably expand. And again, I'd steer clear of any +P or especially +P+ loads in the P11 - excessive added flash and recoil, plus it puts a beating on the P11's lightweight frame.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I originally carried Federal 155 grain HSTs in my P40, then I switch over to Carbon 135 Powr'ball. The Powr'ball feeds just a tad bit better than the HST. For some reason though my gun just hates FMJs, yet can feed the Powr'balls :confused: I can even ride the side with it if I slam it back hard. Bad habit but other people in the house hear slam home and keep saying stuff about it.

EDIT: I just picked up Hornandy Critical Defense in .357 Mag and .38+p for my revolver. I'm curious to see how well the low flash propellents work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear the Gold Dots work well. My full-size defensive gun is a USP9 that I keep stoked with 124gr. GDs (standard pressure) and I'm hoping to use the same when I get a P-11. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
124gr Federal HST, feed fine and the recoil is very manageable. I used to carry Winchester SXT's but the HST's are much cheaper and better expansion in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Local Bass Pro here FINALLY got some Winchester SXZ JHP's in stock again in 9mm, so I grabbed a couple boxes tonight. Honestly thinking of just swapping out all my fancy-pants ammo from my carry guns and just loading SXZ in all 3 of my 9mm's for the sake of simplicity ... and giggles. :D

I already know that SXZ feeds/fires/ejects reliably in them, and for a hair under $20 for a box of 50, it only costs me $40 to fill all of my mags with fresh ammo every year. Gonna keep the current stock of Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dots, and Winchester PDX-1 in the ammo box just in case, though. The way things are looking with all this election-year hype, ANY kind of ammo is going to be hard to come by for the next year or so. True, SXZ may not be as whooptie-doo as the really "premium" stuff, but it's not like they're going to just bounce off of a bad guy or mildly annoy him, and anymore I'm honestly getting to where I can't really justify spending a ton of money on the really fancy stuff. Besides, Winchester SXZ, Ranger JHP (not the T-Series), WWB JHP, and Silvertips are all pretty much EXACTLY the same stuff, just with different coatings on the bullet and with or without nickel-plated brass, and Silvertips were standard-issue for plenty of LE agencies for a LONNNNG time and served them well. It may not be as "tacti-cool" as the latest bonded and whatnot loads, but just because it's old-school technology doesn't mean it won't still get the job done. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
i used to carry the federal 115's but they had some zombie killers for about 18 a box at the lgs so i got some. they are just like the critical defense except in a brass case with a green tip. they fed well in my very picky pf9 so now i have them in the p11 and the pf9. but the gold dots are top rated i have them, 147gr. in the xd, a lot of them. i would carry the 115gr. in the mouse guns but there harder to find and i only have ammo shipped in a few times a year.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Local Bass Pro here FINALLY got some Winchester SXZ JHP's in stock again in 9mm, so I grabbed a couple boxes tonight. Honestly thinking of just swapping out all my fancy-pants ammo from my carry guns and just loading SXZ in all 3 of my 9mm's for the sake of simplicity ... and giggles. :D

I already know that SXZ feeds/fires/ejects reliably in them, and for a hair under $20 for a box of 50, it only costs me $40 to fill all of my mags with fresh ammo every year. Gonna keep the current stock of Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dots, and Winchester PDX-1 in the ammo box just in case, though. The way things are looking with all this election-year hype, ANY kind of ammo is going to be hard to come by for the next year or so. True, SXZ may not be as whooptie-doo as the really "premium" stuff, but it's not like they're going to just bounce off of a bad guy or mildly annoy him, and anymore I'm honestly getting to where I can't really justify spending a ton of money on the really fancy stuff. Besides, Winchester SXZ, Ranger JHP (not the T-Series), WWB JHP, and Silvertips are all pretty much EXACTLY the same stuff, just with different coatings on the bullet and with or without nickel-plated brass, and Silvertips were standard-issue for plenty of LE agencies for a LONNNNG time and served them well. It may not be as "tacti-cool" as the latest bonded and whatnot loads, but just because it's old-school technology doesn't mean it won't still get the job done. :)
Silvertips were a well respected round in their day, Seacamp designed a very expensive mouse gun around them

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Silvertips were a well respected round in their day, Seacamp designed a very expensive mouse gun around them
Ditto! After testing a lot of carry ammo in mine, I'm not sure that I'm not just as well armed with SXZ or even plain ol' WWB 115 jhps as with a lot of premium stuff?:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so none of y'all are having problems with the heavier-weight 9mm bullets- 145, 147 grain?

i've only shot 115gr out of mine. can't quite remember where i heard that that was the thing to do.

·
Registered
733 Posts
so none of y'all are having problems with the heavier-weight 9mm bullets- 145, 147 grain?

i've only shot 115gr out of mine. can't quite remember where i heard that that was the thing to do.
I haven't gone that heavy, but mine feeds 115 FMJ & 124 JHP with no problems

·
Registered
611 Posts
I carry remington UMC 115gr JHP. Feed reliably, are accurate, and are available locally and affordable ($28/100rds). I've seen videos of them expanding reliably through denim so I stick with them. Plus their low price lets me use them as my range round as well so I know where/how they shoot and function

1 - 20 of 39 Posts