Practice for P32/3AT - P22 ???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by finnfur, Jun 10, 2008.

1. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I could get wife to shoot more if KT made a P22 for practice and plinking . A mag or two and thats it. Is there anything out there
    in P32/3at frame size in 22 auto that would be good for this application. Any recommendations that don't require bank financing.lol

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Choices are somewhat limited in a DAO 22 pistol nearing the size of a P3.  The Taurus PT22 is probably the closest thing.  It is about the same size although heavier and fatter, especially in the grip.  Reviews on these can be mixed.  The guns are inexpensive and readily available.   I'm sure your wife would like the pink ones.  :)

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=SF1

Google it and read some reviews.

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey Bill - Great Minds... ;)

5. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Thanks Bill and Tx . I dont think that will fit the bill. And not pink. She fishes but doesnt have a pink rod. She is just a down to earth gal. However diamonds would be her exception.lol Maybe we will have to move up in size [ no bigger than PF9] and $. Maybe $300 range .We want something in 22 that would be fun to target/plink with and reliable. Maybe have to forgo the DAO which would be nice for practice.

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I have this version.
    [​IMG]
    With the flat checkered grips it feels pretty close to a P-11. Taurus says it weighs 12.3 oz. Sights are decent and it's reasonably accurate. I disabled the mag safety because it prevents racking the slide unless you have a mag inserted. I also removed the pinkie extension from the mag.

Our Two Pistol Packer is working on a .22 Lr conversion for the P-3AT. That would be great and I hope it works out for him and us.

On a totally different note I would like to see a major manufacturer produce a minimally sized 6 shot .22 magnum double action revolver. When you're talking revolvers the only way to get minimum size is to use the smallest diameter cartridge. The smallest cartridge with any reasonable stopping power is the .22 magnum, probably about equal to a .32acp when fired out of a short barreled revolver. Some people feel the need for a tiny back-up gun like a P-3AT or NAA Mini revolver but do not want to use a semi-auto or a single action revolver. A six or even five shot mini revolver with a small but normal type of grip and a double action or even double action only trigger mechanism chambered in .22 mag with a 2" to 3" barrel would fill this role nicely IMHO.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Assuming the price wouldn't be outrageous I'd jump on a .22 Conversion Kit for the P3AT. Already saving for a .22 conversion for my Glock 26.

8. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I presume a P3at / 22 conversion would also apply to the P32 also . 2PP you need to get to work. LOL
    I will look in to the Taurus.
    I dont think I could get a grip on the gun if it was any smaller than the P32. Maybe slightly thinner and lighter but overall size.

Pshooter what is that model # cant make it out in the pick .

9. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I have one like PshootR's and I got it used for well under your price mark. I believe I paid $170 for it at Gander Mountain. It was even in pretty good shape still. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and it shoots great though I could probably stand to put some new grips on it. I left mine alone as far as the mag safety and extension as I am not going to be carrying the gun. I often just toss it in the fishing tackle for turtles and such. Usually we wind u plinking with it all day if the fish aren't biting. It isn't too bad of a little pistol and it is fairly accurate to boot.

It might just be exactly what you want for her, especially if you find a used one somewhere.

The other suggestion is a Ruger Mk II. If you are more concerned with the plinking that the carrying, as it seems that you are, these are great pistols and can be found used anywhere. They are very nice, accurate and inexpensive pistols. The big bonus is if you want to trick it out someday, there are hordes of aftermarket things to put into it to make it into a real tack-driver.

Gary

10. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Warty - I was researching the Walther P22 and Ruger 22/45 Mark III when I posted for suggestions . It would be nice to have the DAO to have her practice.
    Maybe later get a Ruger for plinking as accuracy / reliability reports seem to be good. Reports on the Walther fall in the same groups as KT . LOVE or HATE lol

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I bought the Walther last month. Haven't shot it yet. :-/

12. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    i have a pt22...the daughter does not like the fat grip...she tried a checkered one at a gun show, to rough....the beretta 21 with the smooth walnut grips worked the best.....yes da trigger is close, when loaded, weight is also close....gpr

13. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  14. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I absolutely LOVE my Walther, in fact I bought a suppressor for it recently even.

That is certainly one of the sweetest .22 out there but it wasn't what popped into my mind with your question...

So if that is what you're sking, yes. The Walther P22 is a very nice gun.