POW'RBALL Ammo Cause The Spring to come out front

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Haku, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    I was shooting 380 AUTO 70 GR. POW'RBALL 1100 FPS/ 188 FTLBS POW'RBALL at the range with my 3AT. After the second round the inside guide rod spring came out the front of the gun. I want to see if the gun would fail so I shoot the rest of the magazine full of power ball, with the spring still sticking out the front of the gun. Even with this I have yet to have a misfire with my 3AT. My question is, is the POW'RBALL ammo to hot for the 3AT? After shooting that magazine I field stripped the gun and put the spring back in. I have shot 150 rounds of ball ammo with no problems after. Is the gun ok you think?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: POW'RBALL Ammo Cause The Spring to come out fr

looks like you need part #199 ::)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

The instruction manual that came with my gun does not list part 199 is it new?

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

IT IS NOT A KELTEC PART

It is offered by one of the members of this site.  He has a post in the trading post.  When you have posted here for a while, the trading post will become available

:-?
    I searched for the post where the washers are for sale, CLICK HERE

5. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

As shown above, it's not the ammo.  It is a wear problem.  People actually carry and shoot ammo much hotter the the Pow'rball.  That is what I carry by the way, and no problems to date.  I would send it in to get the slide replaced.

6. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

I am going to call Kel-Tec tomorrow and find out how to send it in for repair :'( Like losing my best friend I carry it daily. I guess I will have to break down and carry the LCP that has been in the safe for awhile. :-/

7. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

How do I ship it back UPS????

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

Basically, box it up, write the label as CNC Inc., 1475 Cox Road, Cocoa FL, 32926 (omit "Kel-Tec" as that turns it into a STEAL ME label), and take it to a UPS store: the package contents are 'machine parts', 'high speed hole punch', 'long range drill' (pick one) and are to be insured for $250-300. Enclose a letter describing your problem(s) and your return address. Finally, send it UPS ground, and enjoy paying $10-12 instead of $50, because air shipping is not required by law.

9. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2005

jfb washers re listed in trading post

Dan

10. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008

so wouldnt it be just as easy to call customer service it might speed things up.

11. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

I did and sent the slide back to them. They said they would send a new one back to me. I did not take the firing pin and ejector off so I hope they send the new slide with that insalled :-?

12. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

More than likely your new slide will come with all the parts installed and ready to go back on the gun. Also, it wouldn't suprise me if there wasn't a little baggy of parts inside the envelope as well. That's the kind of service I got. The lady told me to strip the slide and only send it back. If you need any parts PM me your address and I'll ship some out to you, or you can call KT and they will do the same thing.

13. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy New Member

Apr 2, 2008

KT seems to be real good at sending parts out pretty fast to fix their guns. It's almost like a thank you for taking the time to fix our gun when they throw in a few extra parts. Very nice.

14. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA

I've got a 2nd generation gun, bought a while back, that hasn't been shot very much but I'm seeing a slight protrusion developing around the recoil spring hole. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for this thread. I'm going to take a closer look at the thickness of the hole.

15. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

Mine started getting a very slight protrusion after about 100 rounds. I have over 400 through it now. The hole has not enlarged. The protrusion hasn't gotten any worse. The thickness of the steel is good, so I'm not worried about it.

16. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

Can you believe that KT still has not sent my slide back? I am P380less :'(. At least I still have the P32, Tomcat, LCR, S&W36, and a glock 23 to carry. :cool:

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

5/16-4/18 = 4 weeks :-/

18. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

I called they said 6 to 8 weeks total, will see. :-X

19. cassfam

cassfam New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Bloomington, MN

This is what's great about this site. The peening problem is sonething I haven't run across on this site before, and have not had occur on my P3. If not for checking threads, and running into this one, I wouldn't have known to check for protrusions around the guide rod hole. Gotta love a group that's nice enough to share so many things, and has a good time doing it. KTers as a group are are the kind of people you want dating your sister. Well, not me personally, and if you knew my sister, you'd underestand. But you know what I mean. And the ladies are the same way, except for obvious differences. ;)

20. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas

I still don't have my slide back from KT :'( But I was at a gun store yesterday and purchased a new Bersa Thunder .380 for $279.00. My wife said she wanted it to CC. Now that she shot the gun she wants my Ruger LCR or my P32. Well I told her I will buy her a new P32 and she can have that one. Now I got like 10 handguns. Well I guess the more the marrier :eek: ;D :cool: