Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed carry ammo a couple of times since the last time I did any testing. I have been carrying either Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball or DPX. I decided to see which of the two performed better. For my test medium, I used a shoebox packed with soft dirt filtered of any obstructions. The first thing I noticed was the shock of the Pow'R Ball blew the top off the box and the DPX did not. I got about 6 inches of penetration from the Pow'R Ball which expanded decently. The polymer ball was still sitting in the cavity when i recovered the bullet. The DPX penetrated much deeper, about 8 - 9 inches, but did not expand. Here is a pic, Pow'R Ball on the left and DPX on the right. I believe I will carry the DPX since it gets better penetration and if it does expand, all the better. Hope this helps some of you in your carry decisions.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Dry dirt is not at all a good test medium for HP bullets.
Most any JHP will often fail to expand in dry dirt.

They have to have moisture content of some kind in order to produce hydrostatic pressure to blow open the HP cavity.

The Powerball gets the same result from the plastic ball in the nose.

That probably makes it a better round if you miss and hit the sheet-rock bedroom wall because it will reduce over-penetration, but doesn't necessarily mean much against a live target.

rcmodel

·
Registered
743 Posts
What rcmodel says. That is why ballistic gelatin is used for serious testing, and and most informal tests use wetpack (rather than drypack) or waterjugs. I have never seen the Corbon DPX fail to expand perfectly in such media.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really believe that what caused it to not expand is that it had a small piece of the cardboard in the nose. I have used this test with 9mm before and achieved excellent results. I think the DPX had better penetration simply due to the greater weight of the bullet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.