powder coating

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jnn7404, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    First off newbee to the site. I have had my gen2  p3at for about a year now and I ordered a fobus holster so I am concerned about the rust issue. Has anyone powder coated their slide? I know of duracoat and durabake. I think powder coating will last a lot longer and look good but I am concerned if the powder coating is too thick and will hinder the slide from operating correctly. Does anyone know about this?

2. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I've personally never seen powder coating used in a moving parts application.

Do you know how well powder coated finishes are rated for wear on moving parts.

Cerakote and Duracoat would be the closest thing I've ever seen that would compare to a heat cured powder coat finish.

Maybe you can do a couple searches, I did a search on google and found this

http://forum.caswellplating.com/powder-coating-questions/180-powder-coating-firearms.html

4. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I talked to a powder coater today and showed him what I wanted done and asked him about problems. He assured me that there will be no problems according to him there is plenty of clearances. The price was a little high. $75 if I wanted it done now and $30 if I wait till someone else uses that color. I want to see how much a stainless or hc slide will set me back before I do it.

5. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
  6. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks alot Crackerken! Thats a great deal and we know 100% it will work with no issues. I am going to jump on that. I wonder how it would look with this set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    It's going to look very good. :cool:

I don't have any rust, but I do have some holster wear through the blue. Considering going the same route. Mine would be nickel over OD. I assume the nickel holds up to the holster wear, anybody know for sure?

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    No perceptible wear on mine. Been carrying mine all the time for about a year in the pocket.

9. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I have a parked slide over black grip. If I eventually have any finish issues with the slide, I'm going to have it nickeled too. I think the parkerized finish is going to last quite well, but if it doesn't, the nickel plate deal will be my choice. My second choice would be the stainless or titanium colored Duracoat by GoldenLoki.

10. Tractiongrips

Tractiongrips New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Bethlehem, GA
    I like using the Norrell Molyresin for finishing gun parts.  It can be sprayed on with a cheap airbrush or pump up sprayer, and it only takes an hour to cure in your oven.  The stuff doesn't scratch and it's self-lubricating and doesn't gall.  You can check out www.molyresin.com f you're still looking for more options.  There aren't as many choices of colors as Duracoat, but they have just about any normal color that you would use for firearms parts.  They also have an product that cures at room temperature that's handy for platics that may deform under the temperatures that are used to oven cure the regular product.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Having watched the Tutell's on OC Chopper fight powder coat build-up on motorcycle parts for several years now, I don't think it has any application on closely fitted gun parts.

If you have to drill it out of the bolt holes on a motorcycle fender before the 5/16" plow bolts will fit? No thank you.

rc

12. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    That's what I thought RC. But supposedly they can spray in in thinner coats. I am not taking the chance and sending mine to fuselier and going the hc route. Kel-tec emailed me back and said they will trade my slide for one in hc for $75 but this guy wants $37.50 for my slide and mag.

13. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Has anyone tried the Blue Wonder Gun Bluing Kit sold at Cabella's. It's on sale for $19.99-reg34.99
    There is a youtube link I found on the product that shows a gunsmith applying the process in minutes and of course it looks great when finished. Hoax ? My P3At is losing it bluing due to holster wear. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  

14. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    No cold blue I have ever tried over the last 50 years will stay on very much longer then the surface prep takes to do it properly.

By it's very nature, it can't penetrate as deeply or build up the oxidation thickness that hot blue can.

rc

15. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Thank you Rc model for the reply.

16. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008

Jack does nice work. Here's what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For replacement parts, Kel-Tec's hard chrome is a pretty close match (the extractor spring in the top photo was replaced after Jack plated the slide).