Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. New to boards, not an owner yet. I have been eyeing up a pf9 at my lgs for a couple weeks now. It has a grey frame and black upper. Just looking for some info from actual owners. I hear good and bad about these guns. Im looking for a nice cc weapon. Right now I carry my hi point c9. I know, its a bulky weapon but im a bigger guy and it functions flawless. I would love to shoot one of these before I purchased it, however its not an option. My lgs has it listed for $270, im in pa. Is that a fair price? Honestly, does anyone "regret" their purchase? They also have a used one, any tips on what I should be checking on this gun if I go used route. thank you in advance for any info.

Jeremy

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love my PF9. But, I had to send it back to KT once to have the slide and barrel replaced, and I have to use a second extractor to eliminate FTE's. It is 100% reliable now and I trust it.

My advice to you would be to avoid Kel Tec if that would bother you a lot. It is possible that you would get a weapon that needs some work. Whether it be sending it back to KT, simple polishing of the feed ramp, or just changing ammo. It is POSSIBLE that you will get a gun that does not function 100% out of the box. If you can't live with that, then get something else.

If you can live with that and don't mind putting some effort and a little entry-level gunsmithing work into it at home, then get it.

My PF9 is my favorite weapon. Hands down. Love it. But, it took some work to get us to this point in our relationship. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1 to Brett. I love my pf9 like no other gun. KT has about (under) a 1% defect rate. Most issues are solvable with a free part from KT, GOOD AMMO (Federal seems to work real well) and some good advice from the great people on this forum. I had no problems with my pf9. Is am the norm. And around 250 seems to be a median rate for a new pf9. I would absolutely buy new so I got the warrant. Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
The PF-9 is sort of a 'special nitch' gun - being about the smallest, lightest full power 9mm around - for under $300! Like the Glock, it has a unique trigger that one needs to train on (i.e., practice, practice, . . .). I ordered a TI .22 conversion unit for that purpose.

$270 seems like very reasonable OTC price. I certainly do not regret my purchase. Just love it. Kel-Tec has excellent customer service if you encounter a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it is the one with the parkerized slide, then is just like mine. I got mine and before I even shot it, I dissasembled and removed the machine shavings and markings from the firing ping orifice, ramp and extractor housin. I also polished the ramp to a mirror image and rounded the lips on the mag. Also polished the hammer where it contacts the slide when pushing rearwards. By the time I got to shoot it, it was flawless and never experienced any of the problems other people mention here. Not even the mag falling out on its own.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The PF9 is pretty much the best CCW on the market if you ask me. It's not a good gun for a novice or someone who expects a weapon that will shoot any kind of ammo "right out of the box". If you are willing to do your part and learn how to shoot and maintain a PF9 it will serve you very well.

$270 is a pretty good price. I would go new unless the used one is hard chrome and a much better price, like $150+/-. KT has started to enforce the policy that the warranty is only for the original owner. They will fix a second hand gun for a small labor and parts fee.

I have two PF9s and they are both reliable and accurate CCWs, neither like 147g ammo but everything else is fine. I did a light F&B to the first one before shooting it and it's 100% reliable other than the 147s. The second, a used HC model, has just been lubed and shot, it's been great too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I understand, the Northwood trigger makes a world of difference in the "feel" of the gun and trigger, so don't get too hung up about all the comments you see on the interwebz about that particular issue with this gun.

You could get your post count up and check the Trading Post here. I know for a fact that there's a LNIB PF9 for sale there that comes with the Northwood trigger... <whistles inconspicuously>

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a parkerized pf9 for $280 out the door (tax & all) here in Texas several weeks ago. I've fallen in love with this gun for a carry piece (I'm a huge glock fan.) I have only put 120 rounds down range but with no problems what so ever. I didn't even do a fluff and buff. Of course I can't wait to get back to the range, but no regrets at all. Nothing offers the same amount of firepower in a package this small.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would get another even that I had to send it back for penning , it came back and has worked great since

·
Registered
73 Posts
As to myself and my experience with the PF9 (two of them), I'll agree with what was previously said. If you are unable/unwilling to make it reliable yourself then I heartily recommend a Kahr instead. If you are a hands on type that enjoys working on your own guns then the PF9 is what you're looking for.

BTW, I've had zero issues with mine and have foregone any fluff and buff or other reliability mods but was willing to deal with any of the known issues if they had arisen.

But then, that's the norm for me. When it comes to guns I guess I'm blessed. My Rugers will malfunction when they get dirty but always warn me before stopping. None of my others malfunction, period. And yes, that includes my Kel-Tecs so far.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No regrets!! after afew FTExtrct within the breakin period I was a little concerned. I bought more ammo,some blue loctite, and a scotchbrite pad. I polished the chamber in a back and forth motion removed the screw,spring, extractor, I clean the firing pin channel,and put the loctite on the extractor screw. Its been flawless ever since. Buy it!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is definitely a fair price. Personally, I'd stay away from a used one. They can be somewhat finicky, so buy new, put a little work into it, and make it yours. I do not believe you would regret your purchase. Although, I had a cracked slide, my cs experience only increased my opinion of Kel Tec. If I needed another carry weapon, I'd buy another one without hesitation. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes I am starting to regret buying mine. I wish I would have tried one before buying and done some more research first. I would have spent a little more money and got something of better quality. I really like my P3at I had but wanted to condense into one caliber for my handguns and thus now wish I had just kept my P3at.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
They also have a used one, any tips on what I should be checking on this gun if I go used route. thank you in advance for any info.
I would not recommend a used one. The savings over new is not substantial. Plus the warranty technically does not transfer, and you could be buying someone else's trouble. My recommendation is NIB, hard chrome finish. It is a far superior finish (harder, slicker & extrememly corrosion and wear resistant) to other options, and the hard chrome guns just plain run better.

This one was bought in October 2010. It has been flawless over about 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a good price. And I have NO regrets on my purchase. The pistol shoots flawlessly, and is more accurate than I expected.

I think its the perfect concealed carry pistol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I finally landed on a PF9 a few days ago. Local shop had new and used. Sales guy said used was the way to go. For $40 more, I went new. Worth it to me, and you get the lifetime warranty

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, I've been busy at work and have some family functions this weekend. I hope to break free Tuesday night to run some rounds through it. I can't wait

1 - 20 of 23 Posts