Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my Kel-Tec iron sight on my SU-16 as backup and sighted it at the range today. It was okay, but I found that it hit a bit low and it was difficult to get my head low enough with the AR butt stock adapter and Magpul butt stock I have on it. I found this on amazon, and the price is right, but just wondering if anyone has tried them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Techsights are awesome, but so expensive. Thought this might be a good option for me. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looks great. Price is low. I wonder how tall it is if it would line up with your front sight. You have the Canadian version which is a A model with B front sight? I have been thinking about the tech sight for mine. I hate my rear sight.

Which adapter plate do you have on your kit? the low mount or high mount?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have the SU-16F. I swapped the low mount plates for the high mount because it worked better for my primary sighting system, which is a compact scope:

Because I was shooting a bit low with the standard irons, I felt like a bit more height would be an improvement in two aspects.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i noticed your rear sight is moved forward so with moving your sight forward it changes your sight ratios and would be your cause of being low. if your rear sight was behind your compact scope it would change your problem of being low.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The problem is that the scope has a somewhat unforgiving eye relief window that more or less requires it to be at the back of the rail.
You might think about a 1X4 or 2X7 scout scope mounted forward, which would also allow you a better field of vision and the ability to shoot with both eyes open on the low setting. It might require a cantilevered mount to get it far enough forward with some scopes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought about something like this. A taller rear iron would allow to co-witness through a red dot easier. Currently only Bushnell 25 is known to work. Aimpoint and Trjicon have bases that are too tall even with "low" mounts. But how do you make front sight taller? I can imagine finding a taller post, but it's going to stick out of the protective sides.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I thought about something like this. A taller rear iron would allow to co-witness through a red dot easier. Currently only Bushnell 25 is known to work. Aimpoint and Trjicon have bases that are too tall even with "low" mounts. But how do you make front sight taller? I can imagine finding a taller post, but it's going to stick out of the protective sides.
Co-witnessing is a problem with many firearms other than ARs. My preference is a forward mounted scout scope on a medium high see-thru riser. Don't have to look through the optic, or remove it, to use the open sights.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to me that if indeed the sight ratios are affected such that positioning the sight in front of my optic lowers the POI, then using a slightly taller sight should correct this and result in a proper POI while simultaneously making the sight easier to use. Am I right on that reasoning?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It seems to me that if indeed the sight ratios are affected such that positioning the sight in front of my optic lowers the POI, then using a slightly taller sight should correct this and result in a proper POI while simultaneously making the sight easier to use. Am I right on that reasoning?
Yep..................................

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went ahead and bought one of these. So far they seem to be very good quality especially for the low cost. mounting is super easy, and the overall build and materials quality seems excellent. The next test will be shooting it at the range. Next range trip, I will try to take some photos and provide some data as far as the shooting goes. Could be a fantastic alternative to tech sights.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Product is listed as "UTG Sub-Compact Rear Sight for Shotguns, .22 Rifles" on Amazon.ca. It doesn't seem to appear on Amazon.com, strangely.

The sights look like this:

UPDATE:

Had the initial range session with this today, and so far it seems good. Still a bit of a struggle getting my head low enough with the high rise stock plates for the AR stock adapter, but slightly improved in that department. Out of the box, it shot about 2 or 3 inches high at 50m, but being that it's adjustable for windage and elevation, should be an easy fix. Adjustment is easy. It's not clicks, but rather a continual screw type action.

Moves smoothly, mount seems very solid, build quality seems very good. I think if your stock setup is such that you can use your KT sights easily, these will be a big improvement for not a lot of money. So far, I'm impressed. They certainly suit my purposes quite well, as I'm only using them as backup to my scope.

I'll update this thread with further info as it becomes available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UTG rear sight

I have this same rear sight on my SU-16a and I like the easy elevation and windage it gives you on the rear sight. It's a bit hard to find now. Had to get mine from Canada.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.