Possible crack on the slide?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by El_Barto, Sep 23, 2009.

1. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Total n00b here.  I am looking at the rear of my P3AT and I am noticing what seems to be the start of a crack.  Not exactly sure though.  I was just trying to research my problem and stumbled across some posts about he slide cracking and mentioned the slide stop notch.

First question:  Is the slide stop notch the same as I have circled in the pic below?
    Second question:  While not entirely sure that this is a crack, (it does somewhat appear to be) is this something that is 'common'?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Slide stop notch

Welcome to KTOG.

There is no slide stop on a P3AT, I think you might have been reading about the PF9 as some have had cracked slides. The PF9 would crack on the side of the slide near the exection port of slide lock notch IIRC.

I looked at my P3AT and the area of the silde you circled does look a bit unusual but I don't know if it's a problem. You might give KT a call and ask if you can e-mail them that picture and see what they think. Maybe someone else will post who knows more about it than me.

How old is the weapon? I ask because I'm wondering if thats just normal wear.

CJ

3. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Re: Slide stop notch

Thanks for the welcome to KTOG and your reply. Excellent site here.

You're right I did read that from the PF9 section. See I told you that I was a total n00b.

So you're gun looks similar? Maybe it's nothing to worry about.

The gun is about 3 years old, but only has like 100 rounds through it.

Maybe I will get with KelTec. Just wanting to find out something because I am wanting to get my slide hard chromed and I don't want to have to send it back to KelTec to replace the slide after I do that.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Is there any damage to the trigger transfer bar's (260) trigger disconnect cam.  that cam rise follows the notch insiide the slide rails.  the ways I could think of how any damage could occur where the photo shows is if the notch in the slide is slightly too far foward on the and striking when returning to battery.  

did you ever shoot the pistol with the assembly pin walking out?

I dont see any purpose, other than cosmetic for that tip of the slide rails,  on one of my slides that tip had been cut back.

[​IMG]

5. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Not sure about the trigger bar damage. To be honest I haven't been that far into my gun. Guess I could break it down further and see.

Never shot it with the assembly pin walking out.

Thanks for the info.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    You see that trigger bar cam when you field strip (just remove slide/barrel)

that little hump can be pushed down with finger, and when down, disconnects the trigger from the hammer.

besides damage to the thin metal cam hump, hook at the back of the notch inside the slide for any impact marks

7. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    No damage on either one of those.
    ;)

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    asked the smith that is going to chrome it to inspect to see is crack is supperficial and something he can grind out with out looking too raidical.

If not, you could go with a radical grind away or see if KT will replace.

9. El_Barto

El_Barto New Member

May 4, 2006
    Thanks for everything.  I am going to give KelTec a call and ask them about it.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Did you get an answer whether it was within limits? Even if they say it's okay you'll want to grind that crack out and smooth & radius the edges so you won't have a stress riser point for add'l cracking.

I had a pretty chewed up area in the inside rear frame of my Kimber (not cracked, but pretty gouged) and the gunsmith said it was absolutely no biggie, but he cleaned it up and smoothed it.