Possible bad .380 ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by raymac1215, Apr 29, 2010.

1. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, Just wanted to state that I was shooting my carry load, CD FTX Lot 3309847 and had a light pop sound when I fired the second round and had to manually eject the round. I think I read somwehere on this site that someone else had trouble with their CD ammobut a different lot number,something about cheap imported primers. I went back to my old ammo of Federal Law Enforcement and all went well. Anybody else having this problem with their ammo?

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I haven't had any problems with CD ammo, but your problem sounds like a squib load and not a bad primer.  I'd contact Hornady with the lot number as a squib load can be potentially disastrous if a bullet lodges in the bore and a second rounds chambers and fires. :eek:   Occasionally, a light loaded round makes its way into a box of ammo, but I never heard of it happening with Critical Defense ammo. :-?

Best Wishes:

3. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Can a light strike cause this type of failure? I am concerned now that the P3AT has a problem. I am not an expert at all and really appreciate any responses. Hopefully someone can put my mind at ease that is defective ammo and not a fireamarm problem.
    Thanks

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    A light strike would not cause that. I suspect your ammo to be the problem.

5. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

A light strike would cause the P3AT not to fire at all. A muted report, the pistol not cycling, and the bullet exiting the bore are all signs of a squib round. It's not the P3AT's fault. :cool:

Best Regards:

6. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    when you say you "had to manually eject the round" you mean the spent case - sans bullet - right?

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    It was the entire round in the barrel and was ejected manually after the pop sound. I called CD and they told me they want both boxes back to examine and will replace the ammo with new. I agree, I don't think it's the P3AT. Sadly we can't find the ejected round in the woods. We searched the area and it's hiding somewhere.

8. Juster8149

Juster8149 New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    This just sounds weird to me. Pop means primer went off which from my understanding usually equals squib and slug lodged in barrel unless the p3at barrel is so short a primer would push it through, but you said the round was intact and lost it.  I would check the barrel just to make sure its clear. Would have been great if you still had the questionable round and maybe some pics of it.  

9. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    The only "bad" .380 ammo I've seen around here is the ridiculous $65/box WWB the a-hole hoarders/resellers are charging at the flea markets around here after buying out Wallyworld. >:(

10. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I would really like to find it too....but it's lost in the woods. :'(

11. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Metal detectors can be rented for abotu 15 dollars a half day around here. . . . might find it that way?

12. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Might be worth a try. I would really like to find this round so the manufacturer can correct the problem. I have sent back the remaining ammo as requested after receiving the shipping label. We still can't believe it has not been found. Thanks for the idea.

13. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    UPDATE-Hornady Critical Defense sent me 3 boxes of the FTX ammo after I sent them 2 boxes with about 15 rounds left total. They acknowledged there was a quality control issue in December and they have since rectified the problem with the ammo. I tried 2 mags and they worked flawless. I'm happy with a company that stands behind their product! Bravo to Hornady !!

14. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Great News!

I'm happy that Hornady stands behind their products, and that the new batch meets your expectations.  It's always a bad feeling to hear the clack of a hammer and no boom, whether its a flintlock or a modern P3AT.

Best Regards :)

15. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Did they provide a batch that was bad? I have some in the closet and wonder if it could be from the same batch...

16. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I'm sorry, all they said was ammunition made before December. They had a quality control issue. My number was CD FTX Lot 3309847. I would give them a call with your lot number and ask if your ammo is good or not. I'm telling you that "pop" noise will make you concerned of "what if I really needed it just then." Well I have the new stuff in the P3AT and I have to tell myself it will fire. I kept the letter from them and have it in a file. Hope this helps you. It's a shame because I really like they way this ammo feeds and fires without the harsh recoil.