Positive Gun Magazine Review

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by billjohnso20, Jan 10, 2010.

1. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I picked up the 2010 issue of Concealed Carry Handguns published by Harris Outdoor Group last night. What caught my eye was the cover mentioned three .380s---the Khar P380, the Micro Desert Eagle, and the Kel-Tec P3AT. If you pick up a copy, the review of the P3AT is on page 22.

I am pleased to announce that the P3AT received a great review. Why do I mention this and why did I think it was important to start this thread? There are always those who wrongly believe the issues that surface here on KTOG are the norm for all KTs. Well as this review shows that is not the case. And before anyone says it, yes I know that gun rags are notorious for giving guns good reviews. However, I've read bad reviews of the P3AT before. It was nice to see a good one for a change.

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I can offer no objective proof but none the less I truly believe that over the years the out of the box reliability of the P3AT has gotten better. The ergonomics and the shooting characteristics of the P3AT have not changed so I suspect these attributes could be improved upon by the newer models being produced by other firearm firms. It is nice to hear that the P3AT fared well measured against newer designed .380s.

Take care...

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Finally the P3AT is getting some competition but all the Johnny-come-latelys have a steep learning curve in front of them. KT is 10 years ahead of them, and yes, IMHO, current production P3ATs are better than ever and far superior to early models.

4. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    My P3AT, I bought used from a co-worker, it had a total of 20 rounds through it (now about 1000rnds).  He decided he didn't like it in those 20 rounds.  I bought it for $250.00 with two magazines, brought it home, cleaned it, did a slight F&B and I have absolute faith in it.  It is my carry gun about 99% of the time.

Same co-worker bought a LCP, shot 6 rounds through it(now about 500 rnds), and decided he didn't like it either.  So I bought it with two clips and 40 premium bullets, again for $250.00.  Anyway, I hope he doesn't move away and he keeps buying .380s. Tomorrow I am going to tell him I went in the gun store and saw a really nice Sig 380 for $500.00 bucks, in the hopes he will buy it, and decide he doesn't like it. I would buy it from him in a snap, but,  I would bet the P3AT, will still be the one in my pocket.

The Point is that he and who knows how many others, make up their mind,  with less than a box of ammo, without even seeing what the gun can really do.  So I for one like to read reviews, and listen to others talk about guns and their opinions,  but never really buy into them until I can have hands on, and make up my own mind.   I notice that the higher one pays for a gun, are the ones that get the best reviews.

Yesterday at the gun shop I was looking at the sig and a new Kel Tec, and the sales boy told me, you get what you pay for.  I told him not necessarily, I then told him that I have a P3AT and it works great.  He then and only then told me that that's what he has also.  So I have been convinced that the P3AT, and the PF,9 are keepers for me.  I also like the LCP and I will carry it also, if I am forced to wait for parts for the Kel Tec's.

5. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, Would you be so kind as to provide me with a link to subscribe to this magazine. Thanks, Ray

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The Concealed Carry Handguns issue is an annual pub only. They do publish others though. The website is www.tactical-life.com.

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info and link !!

8. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I've come to the conclusion that 99% of the trouble that people have with guns is self inflicted, some from a refusal to RTFM, some from lack of shooting expertise and some from lack of cleaning/lubrication expertise.

Here's why:  I read about the Kahr PM9 years ago, and everything I read said they were having a ton of problems with it.  I saw one in the local gunshop and immediately fell in love with it.  Today I've got around 800 rounds through it without a single hiccup or failure.

About a year after that, I read about the P3AT and read tons of complaints about all the problems people were having with them. I found one NIB for $242.00, bought it and I've now got around 500 rounds downrange through it without a single hiccup or failure.

A few months ago, I saw a local guy who was having trouble with his Kahr CW9 and wanted to sell it cheap.  It's another gun that people have trouble with. It came with 1 extra magazine, 1 galco IWB holster, a Hogue Handall grip, 7 rounds of 115 grain ball ammo and 7 rounds of 124 grain Hydra Shocks.  I've now got 200 rounds downrange  through it without a single hiccup or failure.

So, either I'm the luckiest guy in the world or I actually have a little knowledge and expertise.  You be the judge.

9. painkillerAZ

painkillerAZ New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Not where you are
    You got good taste-
    I have had a Kahr PM9 and the only reason I dont use it for a SD gun is the trigger is a bit long- it was reliable, ate everything and shot great too!
    For the record I have owned a Bersa Firestorm (awesome piece just to big for the round .380)
    I had Micro Colts, Subcompact Glocks and than I found KelTecs- now I carry (exclusively) for CCW a PF9 - (though for open carry I still use my Compact G 19...)

Sure I would not carry some of those again but not because they did not work- I simply did not personally like them well enough to be comfortable with them.

My opinion- you got good TASTE~!

10. mtheo51

mtheo51 Member

Jul 17, 2005
    When I first became aware of the P3AT and searching the web and found ktog I was a bit put off by all the Mr. Fixit information available on the site....I was beginning to think these guns were more trouble than they were worth..On the whole I began to realize ktog was a valuable resource that the likes of were not available for the other brands of firearms I own. For those other brands problem solving was up to me. I did not always find the manufacturer or local gunsmiths my panacea. I was always amazed when a firearm would be returned to me after "repair" would still exhibit the same problem.

I bought a P3AT, cleaned it and simply drowned it in break free. On my first trial of 100 rounds the gun stove piped two times. I am absolutely sure that was caused by limp wristing. I have purchased new, two Smith & Wessons, and two Walthers that wouldn't even function right out of the box!

I purchased an SU16C after that Katrina thing and have yet to have a malfunction....I take that back, I had some fail to pick up rounds while "limp shouldering" (bump firing)....the gun has been flawless.